+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Patterns for stocked trout

Default Fly Patterns for stocked trout

In western PA there is not much opportunity for fishing naturally reproducing fish. The majority are stocked rainbows, browns, and brookies. Does anyone know of any patterns that work on freshly stocked fish? I usually go to an egg pattern, but I am kinda getting bored with that.
    Once the fish are there for a few weeks they tend to realize that bugs are food and are therefore easier to take on a fly.

Thanks for any suggestions
    Ben

I hear the Powerbait Soft Hackle is a good one.

Seriously, a wooly bugger should work well.

------------------
    Joe

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Tie up a half dozen or so lightly weighted Sawyer P.T. nymphs in size ten or twelve with no tails. Then fish two or three as droppers and make sure you splash them down on the presentation. ~ It's the pellet fly hatch! They'll recognize it in an instant.

Best, Dave

Miltiades, if you are bored with the egg patterns - always very effective on size 12 3906 Mustads in Pa for stockers - then you probably won't like sucker spawn or green weenies, although both work when nothing else does. If you want streamers, use big wooly buggers, olive or black or white depending on the waters. And all of these flies are simple to tie.

Miltiades, here is a list of my favorite stillwater flies.
    http://www.freewebs.com/flyfish-edmo...lypatterns.htm

------------------
    "Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish" ~ Mark Twain

Cheers,
    Doc
    Last edited by drteith; 02-06-2008 at 05:59 AM.
    "What a tourist terms a plague of insects, the fly angler calls a great hatch."

Fly Fishing Edmonton & Stillwater Adventures

I've had good luck on western PA stockies with Wooly Buggers, Copper Johns and any caddis, also muddlers fished on the surface as hoppers.

Where do you fish in WPA?

Blog Entries

Try this one. I tied it up originally for the Gallatin in MT, and it worked well, but have used it on stockers since, and they LOVE it. Cast out, let it sink, twitch occasionally, or dead drift thru runs.

In AR, I always had good luck with any nymph tied with a gold bead. I once saw a guy who tied a fly that looked just like the pellet they feed them in the hatchery. So I guess a good fly would be brown dubbing with a gold bead, kind of like a Caddis Pupa. I would tie it on a size 16 hook. Scott

RickB, I fish around Brookville. My family is from the Latrobe area and I have fished around there extensively.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will give these flies a try. As for the pellet flies, I have tied a fly from spun deer hair and trimmed it to look like a pellet. When cast after throwing a handful of pea gravel in the water it can be deadly. I kind of think of it like shooting fish in a barrel though.

Ben

I don't think newly stocked trout even know their supposed to eat bugs. Ye auld glo-bug is the just the thing for these challenging specimins. Of course if your tired of fishing glo-bugs, as was previously noted, there's always wooley boogers. Try some of those newer 'electric' colors. I whipped up some blue and orange ones for a school teacher friend of mine since his school's colors are orange and blue. Why they sure do look pretty. Almost too pretty to fish.

+ Reply to Thread