+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Rods

Justice League Guest

Default Custom Rods

I am thinking about getting a new rod however I want something different that noone else will have. I do not want bamboo. I do want a med/fast action rod with a high quality blank. Does anyone know a good rod maker that could do that for me at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance Jason

Post that same question here:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/f...splay.php?f=11

I'm sure there is plenty of talent there.

Default Custom rod

Google up "Streamside Custom Rods" click on the custom rod section then scroll down to the 9' 5wt Z Axis. That is my personal rod. Kelly will build whatever you want but will only use the finest seats, guides and cork. His work is flawless! Even then it will set you back at least $100-150 less than the same factory rod. Nothing to gain here for me, just a happy customer.

Bill V

I ditto Lucky's recommendation for Steve at Midwest Custom.

You can talk to him and have the rod built as fancy or as subdued as you like. Even get into custom grips and seats
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Another place you want ot check is rodbuilding.org. It's the FAOL of rod builders. Take a look at some of the photos they have on that website to get an idea of just how talented some of those folks are. I'm sure you can find someone there that can meet your needs.

Jim Smith

I would imagine any of the guys mentioned here would do a great job for you. I've never worked with harleybob but have heard good things about his rods.

I had Steve at Midwest Custom Rods build one for my son's birthday back in April. It's a terriffic rod and he did me right on the price. He added custom touches with different types of cork on the grip. Also, he made the grip just a little thinner to better fit my son's hands, put his name on the rod (really cool when you're 13). I've fished the rod several times and it's well made. I had him use a tiger eye blank which has a medium to medium fast action which suits my son's casting style.

Anyway, I can recommend Steve because I have one of his rods but I woluld imagine any of the guys recommended here can and will do equally good work.

Your best bet would be to contact a couple of them and see who you feel most comfortable working with. You're having a custom rod built so it's not about finding the lowest price, it's about finding the guy who will make the rod you want.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I have to agree with everyone here I have heard nothing but excellent things about Steve. He will probably be the best bet for you.

Dave Lewis has a very good reputation. Here's his website:

http://www.performanceflyrods.com/

+ Reply to Thread