+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Rods

You might try Steve Moran in Spokane, WA ( http://www.stevemoranscustomrods.com/ ). I have one of his rods and love it. The handle is a piece of art and I really like the way it feels and fishes.

Adam

Wink Go to home waters

Last year the lord blessed me with early retirement! I decided to treat myself to a "good" fly rod. After months of pouring through fly rod catalogues I decided to look at the fly shop on my home waters. Since I fish Kettle Creek in central Pa. I went to the Kettle Creek Fly Shop. I made the trip in March, when "fishermen traffic" was at a minimun!
    What I found out is that the owner builds all the fly rods himself, hence, custom made! That March morning, he took the time to question my abilities and type of streams I fish. Then he put, maybe, twenty differemt rods in my hand to try casting. I ended up buying a 3 wt., which I thought was too light! It turned out to be perfect and casts better than any rod I ever tried. Furthermore, it cost less than $250.00 (within my budget!).
    Next, I tried to couple it with a very light reel so the outfit would be "balanced" but as light as possible. I had several "upper end" models picked out. Again, Phil, the owner, made me handle several reels. Lastly he put a reel in my hand that was lighter than all the others. I never heard of it. TCI Fishmaster! And he offered to throw in the backing and flyline to match the setup! The reel was under a hundred dollers!
    I ended up with the best, most sensitive, custom made rod, for fishing my home waters. Granted I have nine other fly rods, but since I got this one, it is all I used last year!
    My advise to you; check out your home waters and any fly shops near them. You may be surprised!! I was. Ron G.

+ Reply to Thread