+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Tiger Eye Note

Hybrid View

Default Another Tiger Eye Note

Lots of discussion on the Sevier Tiger Eye blanks lately, so what is one more thread, right ??

I was just over at Buzz'. My rods are 3-5-7-9 wts and his are 4-6-8 wts.

Since he had a Rio Selective Trout II DT4F handy on his primary rod, I wanted to see how it would cast on the 6' for 2/3 Tiger Eye that I just built.

WOW !! That is a dynamite combination for the "small stream" reasons I built this rod. It is really sweet, loads right off the tip, is pure feel to 30-35', and cast about 45' with my best effort. Over 45' it started to die quickly - but so what when you are looking at rod built for places you are mostly casting 10-20' of line and seldom cast over 25-30' to reach out to the ones "way out" there ??

Buzz, who is a better caster than I am also tried the set up. He had the same results - really easy out to 45' and pretty much a dying swan over 50'.

Since a number of folks ( listen up, Betty ) are building rods on these blanks or have shown interest in them, thought these results might be helpful.

Now my problem is, do I want to invest in a new line ( Rio Selective Trout II DT4F ) and reel, something as light as possible, or continue to fish it with the DT3F that I've been using on it ?? It fishes fine the way it is - but not sure I will be able to forget how the DT4F felt ??
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

If it was me I would get the DT4F you liked. I have a rod that I use a three weight line for fishing lakes when I can cast far from the boat, and a four weight line for creek fishing. The rod loads depending on how much line weight you have in the air when casting.

Greg

Blog Entries

Wink

I agree with Greg. Maybe to cut cost you could invest in a spare spool for your reel and carry both lines. Just a suggestion.

Oh, not to worry! I am paying real close attention!!

<Special ordered a downlocking reel seat for the rod, and it's been backordered.
    Just biding my time!!>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Pretty much a matter of bucks, right now. My 3 wt reel is an Abel TR1. The spare spool for it has a class II full sinking line on it, which I really don't want to give up. If I could find another spool for that reel, it would probably cost more than, say, an Orvis BBS1, which is the lightest reel I've found so far as a good match for the T.E. 6' for 2/3. So I'm looking at close to $150, for which I can build that T.E. 9' for 4/5 4 piece, with some nicer components !!
    The fish are always right.

I show BBSI for only $89.00. That WITH the 9'4/5 would be close to $150.00. Only trying to be helpful!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread