I also find this article disturbing. I also carry a trash bag, my way of recycling plastic grocery bags, a few in my vest and some always in the car, and pick up the trash at the parking lots and along the streams here in the Catskills. I have to admit to rarly finding drug paraphinalia. The boss is trying to find grommets at the craft store that won't rust so we can attach a canvas creel to my vest for trash pickup and my own trash from a day on the stream. What bothers me most is the fishing throw aways I find. Leaders, fly packages, those ziplock bags much of our small items come in. These items are from people who are supposed to know better.
I have to say though that if you do come across these people cooking drugs. Stay away!!
These groups wold more likely kill you than get caught. I work closely with the police in my job one of my duties is their dispatcher. Leave law enforcement to them. We neither have the training nor the tools to take even one of these people on. Note the area and make a call. Take a few pics if you can, don't be seen. But never,never ,never confront them. You don't want to be part of that trash.

Tom