+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question re:Diamondback Bamboo Rods

Smile Question re:Diamondback Bamboo Rods

Greetings all,
    just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Diamondback boo rods? I realize that these are today's production rods but are they decent for the money? Cast OK?

Someone here can probably help you:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/directory

Randy

gerri,
    I have a 7'6"5# that I really like. It was my first bamboo. I like the feel, and the cast ... the price didn't hurt either.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Nice for a production rod

I've given a few a wiggle over the last few years. They are nice for a production rod and seem like they will do the job for the money. They lack in cosmetics of the modern day builders out there, but they are only half the price too. I've heard from several folks that they are imported, not American made, possibly from Teastick. I know a lot of folks get pretty upset about this, but if it's what you want go for it. If you keep your eyes open, you'll find a used cane rod for about the same price. There are many websites that sell them. PM me and I'll send you some web addresses.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

If I am going to invest in a bamboo rod it's going to be a good one from a reputable maker with a taper that suites my needs. One that looks and casts like something I'd be proud to own. A heirloom quality rod I'll pass to my grandchildren. I'm willing to pay more for a rod I really like than something more suitable to staking matees. But thats just me....YMMV

I've got to stick my nose in here. It's probably gonna get bloodied. The Diamondback rods are the same blanks as Headwaters,Elkhorn and Tea Stick. Tea Stick has been renamed Highland Mills. All the blanks are made by Zhus rods of China, except Highland Mills dose have a line of USA made rods. Diamondback wrapped their blanks in Vermont so got away with a made in USA label on them. They also charged more by 200.00 than anyone else. I believe Diamondback dropped the bamboo line last year, so if your looking at one its 2 years old. It should be around 650.00 everyone else was getting around 425.00 at that time.
    A few years back when these rods first came on the market at 300.00 each I thought they would be a great replacement for the Blue Collar companies like Montague or Horrocks Ibbotson et.al.. Don't get me wrong I own a Tea Stick 7'6" 5wt and I like it but not at the prices they want now. At the prices they are now charging, last I looked over 600.00 you can get some good USA built and designed rods some for less others slightly more. Here are a few I know personally.

Lon Blauvelt start at 595.00
    JTRODS.com start in the 400s
    Art Weiler about 895.00
    For used Blue collar rods nicely restored try Mike Longuil. Just Google his name.

Again Just My Opinion,
    Tom

Tom's right. I own a Elkhorn that I bought for cheap at a fly show. Very nice rod for what I paid for it, but for what most of the Chinese rods seem to be going for now (or perhaps a bit more), you can find US makers that will produce a better rod that will retain its value or even go up in value. Those are just the facts of the matter.

+ Reply to Thread