+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sayings

Default My Best Saying

A bad day fishing is a good spent.

Default Surprised this one wasn't used

A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

"If you don't loosen up that buckle on yer heart and start to chuckle, you're gonna die of boredom, Safety Joe." - John Prine

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly". - Winston Churchill

Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives - from Braveheart

"Facts are stubborn things". - Ronald Reagan

Everyone brings joy to this room - some by entering and some by leaving

nighthawk Guest

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.", From Jesus of Nazareth. How fitting that you will find it in the New Testament John 15:13.

"A ship is always referred to as "she" because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder.", Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

"A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.", General George Patton Jr
    Last edited by nighthawk; 04-07-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Thumbs up Cool thread

I never saw this thread. Lot's of cool sayings, quotes and comments here. I will offer two of my favorites with history.

When I was a young man of about 21 years, I took a temporary job with Phillips Petroleum in SE New Mexico as a pipe fitter's helper. The work site was at a Phillips gas plant near Buckeye.
    The pipefitter, George Pendleton, was an older feller who never got in a hurry and got more work done than the rest of the crew. He would tell me, "Boy, go get..." and I would take off to who knows where.
    He'd call me back and hold my arm until he finished telling me what to get, then let me go. I was a hard worker and anxious to please but I was always in a hurry and rarely listened to instructions. He would give me a measurement and I'd cut the pipe wrong. This prompted him to tell me these two things that have been a life's lesson for me.

Ya cut it off 3 times and it's still too short. Lesson learned: Pay attention!
    and
    Boy, Ya get in a hurry and you'll screw up every time. Lesson learned: Easy Does It!
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mcsteff View Post
    Study to be quiet

Semper ubi sub ubi.
    made me look it up. here are some more

Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis - You do not know the power of the dark side (Star Wars)

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit - To boldly go where no Man has gone before

Age. Fac ut gaudeam - Go ahead. Make my day!

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri? - (At a barbeque) Ever noticed how wherever you stand, the smoke goes right into your face?

Apudne te vel me? - Your place or mine?

Ascendo tuum - Up yours

Audio, video, disco - I hear, I see, I learn

Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur! - Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!

Braccae tuae aperiuntur - Your fly is open

Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita - Life is too short to dance with ugly women

Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita - Life is too short to dance with ugly men

Cave canem, te necet lingendo - Beware of the dog, he may lick you to death

Clamo, clamatis, omnes clamamus pro glace lactis - I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream

Cogito ergo doleo - I think therefore I am depressed

Cogito sumere potum alterum - I think I'll have another drink

Corripe Cervisiam - Seize the beer!

Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum - Give me a hamburger, french fries, and a thick shake

Da mihi sis cerevisiam dilutam - I'll have a light beer

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo - I'll have a pizza with everything on it

Ducator meus nihil agit sine lagunculae leynidae accedunt - My calculator does not work without batteries

Estne tibi forte magna feles fulva et planissima? - Do you by chance happen to own a large, yellowish, very flat cat?

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? - Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

Feles mala! cur cista non uteris? stramentum novum in ea posui - Bad kitty! Why don't you use the cat box? I put new litter in it

Fortunatus sum! Pila mea de gramine horrido modo in pratum lene recta volvit! - Isn't that lucky! My ball just rolled out of the rough and onto the fairway!

Heu! Tintinnuntius meus sonat! - Darn! There goes my beeper!

In dentibus anticis frustrum magnum spiniciae habes - You have a big piece of spinach in your front teeth

Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos! - You infernal machine! Give me a beverage or give me my money back!

Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus - Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries (from Monty Python - Quest for the Holy Grail)

Mei capilli sunt flagrantes - My hair is on fire

Mellita, domi adsum - Honey, I'm home

Monstra mihi pecuniam! - Show me the money!

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

Nihil est--In vita priore ego imperator romanus fui - That's nothing--in a previous life I was a Roman Emperor

Non Gradus Anus Rodentum! - Not Worth A Rats ***!

Non timetis messor - Don't Fear the Reaper

Non vereor ne illam me amare hic potuerit resciscere; quippe haud etiam quicquam inepte feci - I don't think anyone knows I love the girl; I haven't done anything really silly yet

Nonne de novo eboraco venis? - You're from New York, aren't you?

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem! - Oh! More! Go on! Yes! Ooh! Ummm!

Omnes lagani pistrinae gelate male sapiunt - All frozen pizzas taste lousy

Orbes volantes exstare - Flying saucers are real

Pistrix! Pistrix! - Shark! Shark! (from: Jaws)

Pone ubi sol non lucet! - Put it where the sun don't shine!

Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis - You do not know the power of the dark side

Quid est illa in auqua? - What's that in the water?

Quod foetet? - What's that bad smell?

Quod minimum specimen in te ingenii? - What microscopic evidence of wit can be found in you?

Quomodo cogis comas tuas sic videri? - How do you get your hair to do that?

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert - Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Re vera, potas bene - Say, you sure are drinking a lot

Sane ego te vocavi. forsitan capedictum tuum desit - I did call. Maybe your answering machine is broken

Semper ubi sub ubi ubique - Always wear underwear everywhere

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes - Essentially it says, 'if you can read this, you're overeducated.'

Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es - If you can't read this, you're an ***

Sit vis vobiscum - May the Force be with you. (Star Wars)

Sterca Sancta! - Holy s%*t!

Stercus accidit - S%*t happens

Subucula tua apparet - Your slip is showing

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear

Tua mater tam antiquior ut linguam latine loquatur - Your mother is so old she speaks Latin

Tum podem extulit horridulum - You are talking s%*t

Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa? - Where�s my rubber ducky?

Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant! - May barbarians invade your personal space!

Vacca foeda - Stupid cow

Veni, Vidi, volo in domum redire - I came, I saw, I want to go home

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt - I have jerks like you for breakfast

Vescere bracis meis - Eat my shorts

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit - A wise man does not urinate against the wind

My personal favorite is "A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it"

and "Impartiality is a pompous name for indifference, which is an elegant name for ignorance."

oh, and:

"America is the only country ever founded on a creed."
    goes with:
    "The Declaration of Independence dogmatically bases all rights on the fact that God created all men equal; and it is right; for if they were not created equal, they were certainly evolved unequal. There is no basis for democracy except in a dogma about the divine origin of man."

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Let us so endeavor to live our lives that even the undertaker will be sorry to see us go.

Mark Twain

and

There are two things you can do in gloves, one is pee your pants.

an ex boss.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Default favorite sayings

first off congratulations to flybinder on your upcoming 27 anniversary.

maybe you have heard this before.

the defination of insanity is: repeating the same behavior over and over and expecting better results.

grumps

+ Reply to Thread