+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally pulled the trigger on a new kayak

Hybrid View

Default Finally pulled the trigger on a new kayak

I've been planning to purchase a Hobie Mirage Outback all summer, and had sold my Lund fishing boat and Coleman Canoe to make room for it.

I found out today that on Sept. 1, Hobie will be increasing their "mandantory pricing" on the Outback by $100. My wife agreed that, at last, it was time to make the purchase.

So, I ordered it today. Also ordered the Thule Hullavator kayak carrier. My wife wanted to be able to EASILY load/unload the kayak by herself.

The local reservoir and river have FINALLY receded to "normal" late-summer levels, and I can't wait to launch the kayak and start christening it with fish slime!

I'm so excited!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Congrats on the new 'yak!

Congrats on the new yak! I bought a Hobie Revolution last year and love it. I recently bought the sail rudder for it and finally got to try it out last Sunday. It makes my yak much more responsive at low speeds and I can steer it while drifting. If your Outback hesitates at all while trying to steer at low speed get the sail rudder. It's a cheap, drop-in upgrade that's worth more than it costs.

Thanks for the tip! I'm not familiar with that accessory...is it a larger rudder that attaches where the standard one is? Or is it something that goes more under the center of the Yak...like a regular sailboat-style rudder?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The sail rudder is a much larger rudder that replaces the standard rudder. If you have the Hobie accessory catalog it should be in there.

+ Reply to Thread