+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backing...How much is enough?

1. Default Backing...How much is enough?

A quick newbee question...
    How long should the backing be in you fly reel?
    We fish the streams & lakes of the Sierria's

Thanks

Default backing

Quote Originally Posted by dlshunter View Post
    A quick newbee question...
    How long should the backing be in you fly reel?
    We fish the streams & lakes of the Sierria's

Thanks
    good question

you want the enough backing that the fly line fills the spool to about 1/8 inch from the outside edge of the spool (the spool not the reel) The size of the reel and the weight of the line dictates how much backing you will need.

Normand Guest

just spool the fly line on first then the backing to the level mentioned above. then unspool all of the backing and fly line and reinstall it correctly.

you can keep backing on for about 3-5 years as long as it doesnt mold or get mildew
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

how big are the fish?

Do they take out the whole flyline?

i dont have any backing on my 5 wt trout rod---200 yds on my 12 wt tarpon reel and 300 yds on my 10 wt reel i use for albies
    Last edited by shorthaul; 08-23-2008 at 01:26 AM.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Consider...

Are the fish likely to run deeply into backing....

Most folks advocate filling to proper level to optimize rate of retrieval when reeling in....whether you need the backing or not

IMO Norm's way is the way to go....

Remember when you are filling the spool under controlled conditions there is a tendency to wind on tightly and neatly....not likely to happen out fishing so the line may bind ...e.i. too full....been there done that but no more...

Also I feel I have less memory problem when I make an effort to spool the line under minimal tension...talking about trout fishing
    Last edited by ducksterman; 08-22-2008 at 03:34 PM.

The most backing I have ever had a trout take is about 50 yards by a 27" 'bow on Lake Crowley. Most trout size reels will hold 50 to 100 yards of 20lb dacron or more with a double taper line. If you load line and backing as described above you should have plenty of backing.

As for replacing every 3-5 years. I have reels that have had the same dacron backing on them for 15 years and the backing is still fine, including my saltwater reels, several of which see 35-40 days on the water a year. I do test the backing once a year by peeling some off the reel then testing it for weakness.

Though common practice is to use 20lb dacron for trout and panfish setups, I often use 30lb dacron. The reel will hold less, but still more than enough in most cases. The local fly shops charge by the yard the same cost for either size.

Blog Entries

I see backing maybe once a year. I saw backing maybe once a year when I fished for steelhead, too. So, if I didn't HAVE any backing, I might lose one fish a year (admittedly probably a real nice fish).

I still have backing on all my reels, more as a spool filler and last-ditch insurance than as something I think I actually NEED.

The bigger the water, the bigger the fish, the more likely you will see it come off your reel while you are fishing. Small water, small fish, nah.

for trout no less then 50 yards
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Ray,
    I'm curious since I just spooled a small reel for trout with no backing...not my usual practice...

What size rod are you using and what size trout are you targeting?

I'm surprised you are saying 50 yds is a minimum.

+ Reply to Thread