Thread: Western Green Drake

Threaded View

Default Western Green Drake

Winds blowing 30 mph plus today with gusts expected to be higher in the mountains, so instead of fishing I was playing around at the fly tying desk. My destination tomorrow has a regular hatch of Western Green Drakes, so I dreamed up this little guy ( size 12 ) and thought I would give him a shot at some wild and native cutthroat tomorrow.

Sorry for the lousy picture - best I could get in many attempts. The fly consists of moose body hairs for the tail captured by a furled olive antron extended body, which was then wrapped forward far enough to make a wing of the tag end. A brown hackle was tied in, then five strands of peacock herl for the thorax. The hackle was wrapped forward in five or six turns over the herl thorax, tied in and then clipped underneath for a "thorax" version.

Next up is an emerger pattern using Scott Sanchez' PFD concept. If I can get it right, and a decent photo, I'll add it before I go tomorrow.

The question is - would you hike four miles up a mountain trail with just two of the adults and two of the emergers in your fly box on the chance they might catch some cutts up to 18" ??

Can't answer that one for myself right now, but ......
    Last edited by JohnScott; 08-22-2008 at 03:04 AM. Reason: New photo
    The fish are always right.