+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6wt for smallies

1. Default 6wt for smallies

Hello, first posting after a bit of lurking. I need some recomendations on a 6wt that will serve me well for gills, large mouth and smallies.

I would like to pick up somthing used via message boards or feebay so I'm not ruling out any older model rods either.

I like throwing larger pattern crawfish, clousers.....but the smallies in are local rivers run 12" to 14" so I'd like to steer clear of the whole 7wt thing.

Mike

I've hauled in," Things From The Deep" with much less than a 6wt.
    You should be able to pull to shore what you want with any brand of 6wt. Given your parameters. And yeah, the smallies are great on a fly rod.

What are you lookin' for in performance etc...

I'm just making sure I can chop it in the car door or leave it in the forest (yeah once...but I was chasing after the kids too...) and not worry about the replacement cost.

You might want other things your fly rod can do?
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Welcome aboard Mike. Might I suggest that you fill out your profile a bit more? You might find someone from this site that lives close and can offer a loaner till you make a final decision. For me, I have a champaign taste with a beer budget. I would choose a Sage Z-Axis but I bought a W. W. Grigg, 9' 4 piece 6 weight GPX. The rod works just fine and only cost $59 about 2 years ago.
    Again, welcome aboard.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

If you can find a good used Scott Heliply 6wt, it is a great smallie rod. Good backbone and is tough as nails.

Default Orvis

Take a look at the revamped Orvis Clearwater II series. I have the 9', 4-pc, 6wt and absolutely love it. New it's $189.00.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Welcome to the board!

I do quite a bit of smallie fishing and i've gone to using the two-hand rods for them. The main reason was that I could use a slightly, lighter rod (since the average fish in my favorite river is around 12") but I can use a heavier line, to help propel the larger heavier patterns I use. It's worked out extremely well. The two handers I use are an 11'9" 4wt Echo DH series and a TFO Pro 11' 5wt. You don't have to "spey" cast them. Overhead casting works with them just fine.
    As far as single hand rods go...there's a ton of them. Especially, if you're also looking at discontinued models. The Sage's are my favorite. LoTech mentioned the Z-Axis, which is an amazing rod, as was the XP. Give us an idea what price range, style of rod, etc., and we can probably be more specific.

Thumbs up

Hey Airborn Mike, I got a 1rst shirt brother in the Marines who just started to e-mail me with similar concerns...lol If I come across a stash of rods I'll let you know, other than that, let me welcome you aboard, great place here, I'm sure you'll find everything you need...

Tim

I'm a smallmouth bass junkie...and routinely fish them w/ a 6wt too.
    I've went thru more 6wt's than I care to mention but only 1 has stayed in my boat, the St Croix Legend Ultra 906-4. Far-n-away my favorite 6wt. Enough backbone to throw some big poppers but will double as a big river trout rod with enough sensitivity to lay a #16 dry fly out there (with the right line for both).
    USA made and affordable (around 300 bucks).

Good luck!
    Mark 1:17

As Daniel J said, you should be able to pull in 12 - 14 in. smallies with any 6 wt. I've pulled in much larger smallies with a Sage SLT 6 wt. and I've pulled in 12 - 14 in. smallies on rods down to 3 wt. (haven't tried anything lighter). When I am specifically targeting smallies in that size range or slightly larger, I prefer to use my 6 wt.

My favorite 6wt for SMB so far is a Sage 690-4 RPL.Great casting rod that also does fine for light saltwater.I can echo what dunfly says about the Scott Heliply 6wt.Picked one up this spring and its a very capable rod.Hasnt seen SMB yet but does great in the salt.

+ Reply to Thread