+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An interesting experience

Hybrid View

Angry An interesting experience

I am sure that we have all had our share of interesting experiences in our day, so please, if you wnat to share some of the craziest things that have happened to you while fishing, please do. I'll start us off.

Yesterday afternoon after I got off of work I decided that I would do a little fishing in the creek down the street from my house. As is turned out I only got one fish but I did get something else. Over the past few days, we have gotten a lot of rain in the D/FW area and so the creek that I normally fish in was a little muddy and swollen. Not being one to give up that easily, I decided that even if I didn't catch anything that atleast I was outside and away from my wife for a few minutes. The first couple of casts went un-noticed, but the second was hit pretty hard by a LMB that was about 1 pound. That is where the fun ended. After this fun little fight, I decided to move up the creek a bit and try another spot. Finally I found a spot that I like and start my false casts and laid my clouser in the water, which was greeted eagerly but I missed the strike. My second cast accidentilly landed on the bank by about 6 inches or so, but even on land you can still catch something as I have found out due to the 2 and a half foot Cotton-mouth that struck my fly when I tried to retrieve it. For those of you who have never foughta snake on a fly-rod, I highly recommend it as it is more exilerating than a strong cup of cappuccino. After a good fight, I had gotten the snake close enough to me that I could see how I had hooked him, but I never could get him out of the water(although I was able to keep him far enough away from me to keep from getting bit, thank God for my 9' rod), so now I was in a real predicament. Finally it hit me, I could simply false cast him off of my minnow(yeah right). Thankfully there was no-one around to see me because I am sure that they would have died laughing watching this idiot flail a poisonous snake around with a fly-rod. Finally the leader broke with my clouser and the snake still attached. Later on in the night, I lay in bed thinking about what had happened. This raised a very interesteing question. Does anyone else carry a 12 gauge pump shot-gun with them when they go fly-fishing as I do now?
    Never brag about you equipment or skill. One is obvious and the other will be.

http://s3.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=89095

No, but I do carry a .40 Glock.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Good to know. I thought maybe I was just crazy or soemthing.

Smile

Try being waist deep in a Smokey Mt stream and have a Copperhead swim right toward you. No shot-gun just a fly rod to beat him. BILL

Oh I didn't have one with me yesterday, but I carry one with me now, haha.

I was fishing by myself on Pennsylvania's Tionesta Creek around Ross Run when a huge thunderstorm with lightning came over the hill. With me grounded nicely in the water with my "lightning rod" sticking up, I decided to get out of the water onto a small island.

I walked about 10 ft and saw 3 rattlesnakes---so i got back in the water.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Quote Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
    I was fishing by myself on Pennsylvania's Tionesta Creek around Ross Run when a huge thunderstorm with lightning came over the hill. With me grounded nicely in the water with my "lightning rod" sticking up, I decided to get out of the water onto a small island.

I walked about 10 ft and saw 3 rattlesnakes---so i got back in the water.

I think I'd take my chances with the snakes

I do carry a .357 S&W snubbie when I fish anywhere it's leagal to do so (i.e. not in the national parks). Don't think I'd shoot a snake but mean dogs are a different matter alltogether.

As for catching strange stuff on the fly rod, I guess a big bull frog would be the most unusual thing I ever hooked on a popper.

Jeff

jeffnles---i wanna go fast

On the frogs---i dont know why people gig them---they will always take a dangling fly---the fight isnt that spectacular and they only jump AFTER you get them OUT of the water!

the other thing that happened on the Au Sable in Grayling was ---3 of us got out of the water and were walking back down Shaw road to Gate's Lodge when we took a wrong fork in the road and ended up at somebody's cottage ---we turned around and were walking back and there were bear tracks over our bootprints in the sand----yikes!
    Last edited by shorthaul; 08-20-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Its a good thing that you had friends with you that day shorthaul. At least then the bear had a choice and you might have been able to get away, haha.

Blog Entries

When I was about 15 four of us used to go on week long camping trips. We Would walk from home to the head of Ellis creek canyon and fish our way up the creek. The creek is about 15 miles long and in a very steep narrow canyon. We always took along our 22s and One of the guys had a 410 over and under shotgun. John, Eddie, and I were packing Nylon Remington 22s with us. The Remingtons would fire as fast as you could pull the trigger. Freddie was packing the shotgun.

About 5 miles up the canyon where it is cliffs on either side and very narrow we ran into a Bobcat. Normally they would just run away from us.
    this one gave out an incredibly loud yowl then stood its ground facing us spitting and snarling. It was quite frightening so we all unlimbered our guns aiming them at the cat. I took one knee and aimed at its head uncertain what to do. John said It must have kittens lets go back a little and give it some room. At the point where we all agreed and just started to turn around it gave out a loud screech and charged us. All four guns opened up at the same time. We stopped shooting when it stopped moving. The poor cat was so riddled with holes the pelt was not worth saving. We looked all over for any sign of kittens but found none. We carefully put it in a garbage bag that we had brought along for packing out our garbage. On the way home we dropped it off at the ranger station. Weeks later the ranger phoned John telling him that the cat did not have rabies and that it was a male so there were no kittens which was a relief. I guess it was just in a bad mood when it charged.

My friend swears that this next story is true.

He and his dad were fishing Penask lake when they spotted a Buck swimming from one Island to another island about 1/4 mile away. They slowly trolled closer to the deer when they spotted an otter playing around the deer swimming beside it then up on its back then diving in and then back up on it. The otter did this several times till the deer was able to touch bottom. Then from the deers reaction it looked like the otter gave it a nip because the buck jumped straight up in the air, hit back down snorted then charged up onto the shore. It spun around and stared at the water for a bit before finally disappearing into the brush. The otter calmly swam away.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread