Usually I just read the posted messages but thought I would venture online to share a few lessons I learned in a recent trip to Wyoming.
Let me preface my remarks by saying it was absolutely wonderful. I fished the bigger rivers, smaller rivers, creeks and just about any place with moving water. I made a wonderful friend who has the same passion and amount of sense, or lack thereof, that I do--in other words, he had all the attributes of a great fishing partner. Through other trips and contacts, I also found the right guide for me. He was afflicted with the right degree of ocd--fitting my own nicely-- and was a purist. Floated the Snake a couple of times and had two great days. Nothing real big altho I did lose a big yellow bellied cutthroat right at the boat.
Wildlife and scenery were outstanding--if you've been there you know what I mean. If you haven't, you need to get your priorities in order! Began fishing smaller creeks with new friend. Got into some unbelieveable cutts on a stream no wider than 10 feet with willows overhanging. What fun. We caught a lot of fish in the 14-16" category. Did this on several waters. Finally took a float near Pinedale. After about 30 minutes, I declared that I had already had a great day when I landed a 17-18" brown. It became a greater day, when about 20 minutes later I landed a 21" brown--biggest trout I have ever caught! Proceeded to catch some very nice cuttbows, cutthroat and rainbow. Thought I had a "slam" until my partner asked where the whitefish was. Maybe should have put on a nymph and fished deeper! Anyway, it was a great trip as evidenced by my wife's computation that I had fished everyday except 2 (out of 17). Good wife, huh?
Well here's the list:
1) The water's fast. Carry a folstaff or other pole--never know when you're going to really need it ;
2) make a good friend and get a good guide;
3)When you get hung in the willows or trees, stand under the fly when you break the line and play centerfield--made several saves ;
4) carry your pocket knife to cut the willows so you can retrieve your fly;
5) Have a lot of flies (are you picking up on a theme?);
6) Always test your knots;
7) Take lots of pictures as your friends won't believe you;
When fishing alone in bear country, be aware but don't almost fall in when an eagle flies over and casts its shadow right over your shoulder;
9) Realize it's a great day when you see more eagles than fishermen;
10) Make arrangements to return in September;
11) Don't let anyone or anything take the smile off your face.

Peace