Freeze or chill your fly lines!!!!!

Recently one of our club members, Les, sent an email to Bruce Richards of Scientific Anglers/3M (printed with the permission of both parties).

Hi Bruce,

My question is whether it's a good idea to store infrequently used fly lines in my freezer? I heard somewhere that the lubricant weeps out of fly lines at room temperature and over time the amount decreases and eventually causing the lines to become brittle as they deteriorate. Storing them in the freezer seems like a way to stop the leaching action. What does SA think?

Les

Hi Les,

I'm glad you enjoyed the classes, it is a fascinating subject. Is storing fly lines in refrigerator or the freezer is a good idea.

Plasticizers do leach from lines as they age, and the warmer they are the faster it happens. If stored cold, they will last a lot longer then we will!

Bruce
----------

Bruce Richards
Scientific Anglers/3M

Having read this, I had a thought and I needed to check with Bruce to get his permission to print this information in a newsletter and on some fly fishing websites, I called Bruce. I asked him if the fly lines were frozen would there be any danger in cracking them when you first removed them. The answer is No. The lines are not going to crack. I guess I should have known this since I am one of those people who will fly fish when the air temperature is near the Zero mark and the water temperature is just below freezing.

By the way, I mentioned to Bruce that I was glad Scientific Anglers/3M was a Sponsor of FAOL. Never hurts to mention that to the sponsors.

So, going to store your lines for a long period? Put them in the refrigerator or freezer.

Larry ---sagefisher---