+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini FI at Mottville, MI

Default Mini FI at Mottville, MI

Come one, come all to a mini Fish In at Mottville this Saturday, August 23. Meet at the launch ramp off Riverside Drive just off US-12 (see map at http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Mottville&state=MI note: zoom to level 11 or 12 to see the turnoff for Riverside) by 9:00 a.m. We will be targeting smallmouth below the dam. At lunchtime. we could hit the restaurant and the fly shop at Lunkers which is in Edwardsburg about 20 minute east of Mottville. If BD comes maybe he will show us some of his honey spots on the Dowagiac River in the afternoon. The Dowagiac harbors browns and a few of my flies if you look carefully in the brush. Give us a shout if you're planning on coming. (Note: If you're coming by the Indiana Toll Road, get off at exit 101 and go north on Indiana 15 which becomes Michigan 103 - takes you right to Mottville.)

I floated that stretch on Friday, where has the water gone? We launched into 6 inches of water and had to pull the boat 1/2 mile downstream before we could get it to float.

Certainly a lovely stretch of river (with quite an assortment of dogs on both sides of the river!) and full of smallies but not a lot of water when we were there. Is there dam repair going on in Mottvile?

Joseph

Thumbs up

Well well well this sounds like fun. I was going to take the wife SCUBA diving Saturday but I think I can talk her into letting me go fish with the boys, and I will take her diving on Sunday.

I will confirm on Friday.
    Remember we all live down stream

bump.
    Especially for the 3 Rivers Fly Club guys from FW!

My lovely wife gave me the ok to fish with the boys Saturday, soon as I get to work this morning I will let them know I am not available for call outs Saturday. I AM GOIN FISHIN...

See you all Saturday morning.

You guys are killing me. I will be camping with the family at Potato creek over the week end. Mottville is a great place for smallies, you guy should do well. Good luck.

BUMPity BUMP

I'm putting together a smallmouth box but won't know for sure if I can go until tommorow night. I am wondering if I should load that box with clousers or more top water stuff? Most of my smallmouth fishing has been on much smaller rivers where floater divers get deep enough most of the time.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    I'm putting together a smallmouth box but won't know for sure if I can go until tommorow night. I am wondering if I should load that box with clousers or more top water stuff? Most of my smallmouth fishing has been on much smaller rivers where floater divers get deep enough most of the time.

I was wondering the same thing Jim. Any one have a list of must have flies?

Brad

Kaboom, rainbowchaser, et. al.
    For Mottville, I would recommend chatreuse/white Clousers and woolybuggers. If there is any topside activity, you could use a good size mayfly imitation in say 6 or 8 (Your hex leftovers from July may work).
    For the Dowagiac, we will ask Roger at Lunkers when we get there for lunch. Bring smaller BWOs, parachutes 16-20, and of course soft hackles to start.
    The St. Joe at Mottville is in good wading conditions, no surprises, holes, sand catchers, whatever. I haven't been to the Dowagiac yet this year but it has always had a good spot of cool water in even the driest hottest years. Should be fun.
    mcsteff

+ Reply to Thread