+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freedom Hawk Kayaks (w/"outriggers")

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by khao-sok View Post
    A lot of people/companies are pushing sit-on-top boats over real boat for fishing, but their logic isn't solid when it comes to hull science, stability and usability.

And vice versa it certainly seems.
    Steve

See:

Native Ultimate
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

When I was shopping last winter I went to Columbus got to look at the Freedom Hawks at MRO and then went downtown to where a new outfitter shop is and to look at the Natives Ultimate 12. I already had a WS Pamlico fishing yak for quite a few years since its introduction. I like the Hawk but then I realized that this thing will not hold up after a lot of use and then it looked like it will succumb to failure issues. Maybe I might be wrong but I just don't want the hassle and the weight is little to much to. I do like to be able to stand up and cast which is nice but then again I can get out and fish. So it came down to functionability of each craft and I had made my mind up on the Ultimate. It been a great ride this year on it with no regrets. It all boils down down on what you are comfortable with.

Default Inflatable Sponsons on kayak

Several years ago I bought a pair of inflatable sponsons to go on my 17' canoe so I could fly cast while standing. Now I use them on my Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i to do the same. Using a $20 rechargeable pump I bought at REI I can go from speedy paddling to stand-up fishing in under 10 minutes.

The really cool thing about the inflatables is that I can use them while floating through the rocky shoals of the Hooch near Atlanta and not worry about breaking anything.

Paddling with the sponsons inflated is a little slower, but still faster than a canoe.

Not sure where you can buy them, but I'm sure somebody still makes them.

5. Default

They look too whacky for me. I own a Ride 135, stand on it and fish all the time (fresh and saltwater). The boat is super stable in its stock form. It does have a draw back though, the speed suffers a little due to its extra width and tri-hull design.

An artile in Sept 08 "Fly Fish America" featured them in an article about Everglades National Park. The guide put a number (5-6)of anglers and these yaks in a Carolina Skiff, took them to fishing area, and let em loose. Said they were really good. Really liked that you could stand and cast with ease.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 8wt View Post
    An artile in Sept 08 "Fly Fish America" featured them in an article about Everglades National Park. The guide put a number (5-6)of anglers and these yaks in a Carolina Skiff, took them to fishing area, and let em loose. Said they were really good. Really liked that you could stand and cast with ease.

The guide uses Heritage Redfish kayaks and not Freedom Hawks. I've fished with him before. He's Charless Wright of Chokoloskee.

BTW, if you get the chance to fish with Chuck, do so. You'll get to fish water you'd never be able to reach via kayak.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread