+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odd materials

For "microfibbits" Loew-Cornell makes some nylon paint brushes. Various stores (Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart) sell them in packs of 3 (3", 2", and 1") for about $4. They come in two colors that I know of, White #1170 and Brown #1177. They white ones can be easily marked with a permanent marker. The bristles are fine and pointed.
    Sort of in a rush, going fishing, will post other "odd" materials later.
    Chuck

I thought about using Bellybutton lint for dubbing but thought the smell would scare off the fish...

A lifetime ago "Tap" Tapply wrote the Tap's Tips column for Field and Stream
    One of his flies used the fluff from a milkweed pod for the wing
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Thanks for the post, peregrines.

The same thing can be done with Scotch "Tear By Hand" tape....and the adhesive is already there.....wish I could remember where I learned it so I could give proper credit...not my idea.
    I bet you saw Bill Heckel use that at the flytiers expo. That's where I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayatwork View Post
    I bet you saw Bill Heckel use that at the flytiers expo. That's where I saw it.
    I believe you are correct ...it would have been several years ago in Eugene though...thanks for the reminder

Maybe not be a real odd tying material, but I just bought a couple pair of regular flip flops at Michaels for 39 cents a pair. To cut plugs out of to use for poppers.They will give me hundreds of cylinders. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Maybe not be a real odd tying material, but I just bought a couple pair of regular flip flops at Michaels for 39 cents a pair. To cut plugs out of to use for poppers.They will give me hundreds of cylinders. John
    Not too mention they can give you several hundreds of eyes

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I get the thick freezer ziplock bags and cut them in thin strips. Do an over lapping wrap on the fly bodies to give them a translucent shine that has a good depth to it. From the same ziplock bags i have cut the zipper parts both the yellow and the green wrapped on the hook shank make nice ribbed bodies.

I surprised myself with the biggest rainbow of the season with one of my ziplock bodied flies.

I use those feather dusters instead of fibbits the two tone black and white make really good tails.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default xmas ribbon

Xmas ribbon that was red, tan and olive that turned out to be made of swiss straw, I also have found that the dowel rods we get in at work often are tied with a material that looks like swiss straw that I hope to try out some time.
    Foam grip material for ant boddies. Some one did a fly of the week not to long ago just like the one I do.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

My favorite 'non-standard' materials are Hot Glue (Low temp), Gorilla Glue, and Lee Press-On Fingernails. All of these make killer bodies.

+ Reply to Thread