(note to admin, ... if product reviews aren't acceptable, ... just dump this )

Well, ... after receiving a gift from the monthly draw in the summer, ... we finally had the chance to put the Chota Deluxe Wading Jacket (CVX100)through it's paces.

The Chota product in action

Of course, ... the folks at Chota sent the jacket to the house, ... so Ren?e opened the package while I was at the office. Guess how inherited a brand new jacket??

Any way, ... I'll compare this product to the one I've been using for several years, ... the Orvis Tailwaters No Sweat? Jacket.

The Tailwaters:

The Chota product retails on the I*Net for $289.95 and the Tailwaters go for $198.00 on their site. Is the 90$ difference worth it? That depends on your tastes ...

The CVX100 is full of bells and whistles which make for some striking and some subtle differences.

What the CVX100 has that the Tailwaters doesn't:
  • Fully lined hand warmer pockets.[/*:m:94c81]
  • Double entry pockets (they have zips outside and in, so you can access your vest UNDER the jacket, ... like the good old London Fog Long coats.(waterproof)[/*:m:94c81]
  • Under arm zips for ventilation[/*:m:94c81]
  • A cam lock strap OVER the hood to adjust the draw, ... this helps keep the brim of the hood from dropping down over your eyes.[/*:m:94c81]
  • Zip and snap covers for the two main outer pockets. The snap cover flaps have two lengths to accomodate extra long fly boxes.[/*:m:94c81]
  • Zip on skirt to make the jacket into a long coat for town (really needed??)[/*:m:94c81]
  • Included ball cap that snaps to the hood for "the hood that moves with you, for an unobstructed side view"[/*:m:94c81]
The CVX is constructed of a breatheable membrane in a 2 ply configuration. This means the manufacturer puts a third inner "mesh" liner in the body and full liner in the arms.

We use our jackets as much for cold weather gear as for rain, ... so the extra liner in the arms is a Plus for us, not a draw back.

What the Tail water has that the CVX doesn't:
  • Snaps to hike up the bottom of the jacket to make a shorty for deep wading[/*:m:94c81]
  • Gommets to hold down the hood ajustment cords so they don't whip around in the gale (needed ?)[/*:m:94c81]
  • A velcro strap to roll up the hood and keepe it out of the way (handy for me as I rarely use the hood, ... opting for a wide brim hat.[/*:m:94c81]
The Tailwaters is constructed of a 3 ply breatheable fabric with taped seams. This means there is no inner "mesh" liner and we can see the taping. This "classic" construction dating back to the first GoreTex products has a "bare Bones" look to it that many users find desirable.

What they BOTH have, ... and (imho) any serviceable wading jacket SHOULD have:
  • Breatheable technology for the material[/*:m:94c81]
  • Velcro tab and butt loop to use as a rod holder[/*:m:94c81]
  • Rear cargo pocket for bulky items[/*:m:94c81]
  • WaterPROOF cuffs so you can actually submerge your hands and forearms while keeping your underlayers DRY[/*:m:94c81]
  • Two large exteriour front pockets large enough to accomodate relatively BIG fly boxes[/*:m:94c81]
  • Quality PLASTIC zippers in acceptable sizes[/*:m:94c81]
  • Storm flaps, with snap (velco will do) covers on the main zipper[/*:m:94c81]
  • Plastic fittings, ... not steel (snaps etc)[/*:m:94c81]
  • Front external d-rings to hang stuff from[/*:m:94c81]
  • Draw cords to ajust the neck and back of the hood[/*:m:94c81]
  • Rear centre d-ring to hang a landing net[/*:m:94c81]
  • Bottom adjustable draw cord(s) to tighten the skirt of the jacket and be able to hike it up[/*:m:94c81]
  • A fabric tab to keep the zipper from rubbing your nose when it's pulled right up to the top[/*:m:94c81]
  • Loops which hold IN PLACE the cam locks so you can tighten draw cords WITH ONE HAND. (just pull and they will tighten)[/*:m:94c81]
  • Both are machine washable (no dry cleaning)[/*:m:94c81]

Now for the picky part

The CX has more material, pockets and an inner liner (body mesh and arms in polyester) so it is a heavier jacket (I didn't weigh it though) Also, the large rear cargo packet expands TOWARDS the inside, so stuffing a sweater into it will push slightly into your lower back.

The front fly box pockets on the CX are easier to put boxes into as the elastic tighteners on them are not configured in the same way as the Orvis product. On my Tailwaters, ... I sometimes battle for a second or two to get a big box into the open pocket.(I told ya this was the picky part)

The HandWarmer pockets on the Tailwaters are situated BEHIND the front cargo pockets. When you have bulky hard items (like fly boxes) in them, ... they press back against your hands. The CX handwarmers are BENEATH the cargo's so you always have room (they are also deeper and fully lined).

The Neoprene like cuffs on the CX are covered by the outer shell. This makes for a more civilized look, ... but can make for a few seconds of extra time to ajust the velcro which is hidden under this outer shell. Incidentally, the cuff on the CX is "rubberized" so they "grab" a bit on the skin making a good seal. This may be disagreable to some, ... not an issue for me.

The CX is a WARM jacket, ... the extra lining, handwarmer "pocket" etc make for a heavier jacket. Not a problem for us as we are always near the truck or the canoe.

On a weird note, ... the Orvis product comes in Tan or Green, .. The Chota (apparently) only in Navy Blue. (I don't see a color chart on the Chota site, ... so I assume that this is the only color. Up here north of 49, mosquitoes and black flies are ATTRACTED to dark colors!

So what's the verdict??

This is a personal choice thing. The Orvis product has a more "bare bones" look and feel (due to the taped seams on the three ply fabric and lack of bells and whistles). It is also shorter by an inch or two. If you're attired to look like a guide (or you ARE a Guide), ... the Orvis Tailwaters could be appropriate for you.

The Chota product (new for this season) held up in a downpour (the Orvis product has already proved itself over several years of use). (see the water flow for our river this past week below to believe me when I say IT RAINED!!)

Further, the CVX looks and wears well on and OFF the river (which can save you another 200-300 bucks on a "city" rain jacket).

Is the CXV100 worth the extra money? ... IMHO, yes. You save the cost of a second rain coat for town. The jacket is well made and should hold up (I haven't checked out the warranties for either).The waterproof/breatheable ball cap and zip on skirt extension making up almost the difference in the price. The design is well thought out and makes for an agreable product to use day in and day out on the river or around town.

There are lighter weight wading jackets out there (by the same manufacturers as well as others). We always use the Guide Weight stuff 'cause we're pretty tough on our gear.

Are light weights as well made, ... probably.

Anyway, ... just my observations.

Annexe:
Flow rates this past week, ... so you see the CXV DID get a real test this week as well as in the Post Katrina deluge we got the other week. (graph is on a log scale in m?/second

------------------
Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:94c81]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:94c81]

Edited for clarity ...

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 01 October 2005).]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 06 October 2005).]