+ Reply to Thread

Thread: is it just me?

Hybrid View

Default is it just me?

if this is a rehash of the topic then delete and if it IS just me, let me know. why post something on someone's for sale thread that will hurt the saleablility of that item? i could see it if the seller had a questionable history here. but if the ad is placed with no bad intentions, why not let them know of whatever the issue might be via the PRIVATE MESSAGE system. that way the seller could edit his ad without the negative vibes (intentional or unintentional) created by an "informational" post. sorry for the rant, just seems like it's good etiquette to deal with issues like that via a p.m.

Blog Entries

Smile Send a PM

dpenrod,

You have an excellent point there and I agree with you, why torpedo someone's attempt to sell something. Like you said, if a person has a negative question about something or a correction that should be made, a PM to the seller would be the best way to go.

The exception to that would be any comment about SPAM.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Wink Hoodwinking

I'll play.

Conversely,
    When a guy whose profile revels he's a guide ( "might" be on a pro program - or privy to industry information. Don't know - Can't say. ) and has a whopping ten posts to this site in two years (Could those have been all classifieds ads? ), puts a rod up for sale at $250.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. On or about the same day that the announcement that this series of rods is to be discontinued, might be seen by some, as trying to take advantage of the less informed among us.

I see the price has been backed down a bit....with an edit. ;^)

That's not torpedoing someone, that's stepping up and sharing some solid information that might help potential buyers make a more fruitful decision. Why should the seller be the only one armed with this information?

The only reason I can imagine anyone taking issue with this, is if they themselves would try to pull the wool over a potential buyers eyes.

Anyway, that's the way I see it.
    Best, Dave

Dave,

Not sure that's the kind of post dpenrod was thinking of. There have been some outright flames on a for sale post and rude comments about the seller or product. Those are not necessary and IMHO, just plain bad manners.

There have been instances when a thread contained those kinds of comments that I have offered to delete the original thread and let the seller start a fresh one. To have to make an offer like that at all means someone needs a refresher on manners.

I'm a firm believer in "Let the buyer beware". If I see something on the "For Sale" board that piques my interest, then I should be able to shop around (check e-bay or other sources), and see if the price is in the right ball park.

maybe i wasn't clear enough in my original post. my opinion i know, but it is POOR etiquette to post ANYTHING other than an interest in or request for more information regaring said item for sale. ron, you are right, caveat emptor. i'd be willing to bet all of us here are able to surf the web, comparison shop and make an informed decision regarding a purchase all by ourselves. superfluous posting got so bad on a couple of forums i visit, they have actually structured their classified ads so you can't post any responses to a for sale thread and have to contact the seller via p.m. or email.

Wink

Hi Ron,

You're right the post is politely ambiguous, I'm not. ;^)
    I'm making a case for my actions of this day and my motivations as a board member.

Re: I'm a firm believer in "Let the buyer beware". Agreed.

In order for a buyer to beware, wouldn't it be helpful for them to know what to be aware of?

In making a case for using a PM to educate the seller he writes:
    "that way the seller could edit his ad without the negative vibes (intentional or unintentional) created by an "informational" post."

Again I ask, why should only the seller be armed with the pertinent information?

Don't we also owe it to our fellow board members ( our Community ) to speak up?

Should we not share what we know?

If not, large parts of the internet would quickly fall silent - I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing at this point.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a two buck bag of dubbing or a spool of thread. I'm talking about a fly rod being offered for two hundred - and some change, under the circumstances I outlined above.

If it were me, I'd sure like to know going in, that the rod has just been discontinued and can purchased for less, new in the tube, with it's warranty in tact from a factory authorized dealer for around the same price, maybe even a little less.

In any case, no, I'm not in agreement with the original post. There are simply to many " if's " in it for me. As far as " informational " post's go, this is a bulletin board with several forums - the open exchange of information is what this place thrives on.

To stand idly by is just not my style. It's not your's either, you know how I know that? You're a member in good standing on this board, those who stand idly by and watch are called lurkers.

Best, Dave

why not contact the seller first with this info via a p.m. and see what his response was? please address that question for me. you can couch your "actions of the day" in what ever terms you wish. what you did, was effectively torpedo his ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Hi Ron,

You're right the post is politely ambiguous, I'm not. ;^)
    I'm making a case for my actions of this day and my motivations as a board member.

Re: I'm a firm believer in "Let the buyer beware". Agreed.

In order for a buyer to beware, wouldn't it be helpful for them to know what to be aware of?

In making a case for using a PM to educate the seller he writes:
    "that way the seller could edit his ad without the negative vibes (intentional or unintentional) created by an "informational" post."

Again I ask, why should only the seller be armed with the pertinent information?

Don't we also owe it to our fellow board members ( our Community ) to speak up?

Should we not share what we know?

If not, large parts of the internet would quickly fall silent - I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing at this point.

To be clear, I'm not talking about a two buck bag of dubbing or a spool of thread. I'm talking about a fly rod being offered for two hundred - and some change, under the circumstances I outlined above.

If it were me, I'd sure like to know going in, that the rod has just been discontinued and can purchased for less, new in the tube, with it's warranty in tact from a factory authorized dealer for around the same price, maybe even a little less.

In any case, no, I'm not in agreement with the original post. There are simply to many " if's " in it for me. As far as " informational " post's go, this is a bulletin board with several forums - the open exchange of information is what this place thrives on.

To stand idly by is just not my style. It's not your's either, you know how I know that? You're a member in good standing on this board, those who stand idly by and watch are called lurkers.

Best, Dave

Default Selective hypocrisy?

dpenrod,

I note that like myself, you first felt the need to make your concerns known through a bulletin board posting, rather than sending along a PM to me - first. Thus you do see the value served by informational posts.

The answers to your questions have been explained in my two posts in much greater detail than you bothered to share with us in your what if scenario.

In short: What drove me to act, was the same thing that has been driving you.
    We both saw something that we wanted to do something about - and we acted.
    Neither of us contacted the other party first, via PM.

You and I may never agree on this, I can live with that.

Try to enjoy what's left of this day,
    Best, Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 08-17-2008 at 12:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread