+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experts Advice

Default Experts Advice

Any particular DVD or video you would recommend detailing a rod build out for a rookie thinking of building his first rod.

thanks,
    shacked

Shacked -

It's not a DVD or video, but Al Campbell's series here on FAOL on graphite rod building is OUTSTANDING.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/

I probably read and reread this series a dozen times before I started my first rod, and that, along with previous posts here on the Rod Building Forum was enough to get me started. I constantly referred back to Al's series each step of the way, which was easier, for me, than trying to go back to a visual aid.

Anyway, rod building, at least at a very basic level, is not as difficult as I thought it would be. And the thing is, you get so much support and help from the great people on this Forum that it's hard to get discouraged or lost as you go along.

Good luck - and don't sniff the expoxy too long.

John
    The fish are always right.

I know there are dvd's out there to teach you how to build a rod but John hit it on the head. Al's rod building instructions here are good. If you are serious about getting a dvd go to h&H or mudhole they both carry them I believe. Ask questions here on the board if you have any. There are a large amount of people who build rods on this board and are willing to help. there is no mistake I can think of you can make that can't be fixed. Take your time relax and enjoy the build, but remember it is like lays chips you can't build just one. If I can be of any help let me know.

Thumbs up

Just read through the Al Campbell series and enjoyed it, there's a lot of good info there.
    BTW JohnScott: Nice Sevier rod you built.
    Jim

Born to fish - forced to work.

+ Reply to Thread