There has been a little too much drama in my fishing life the last month. About 3 weeks back I was down on the Chattahoochee in Suwanee, GA having a really good afternoon [for me anyway] with 7 or 8 trout landed, most of a size 14 Adams and a black ant underneath. I have start carrying two rods on this little ? mile float one with nymphs and one with dry flies. Coming through small rapids in my float tube the line got tangle on the rods. In the process of untangling the rod the Adams somehow ended up in my right thumb. Being on my on and right handed and simply not tough or dumb enough just to yank it out I got out my wire cutters (lesson number 1 ? always have wire cutters) cut off the hook at the end of the shaft, leaving enough for the Dr. to get hold of the following day; got out my first aid kit and put a band aid over the hook (lesson number 2 ? always have a first aid kit with band aids). Float on down to my pickup catching another fish on the way.

The following week fishing with a couple of friends on a longer float I stopped about a ? mile about the scene of the above story to talk with Mother Nature about a bird dog. After the discussion about the pointer I was easing back into the river using a 2 ? in. limb for a balance point when it snapped. I lost my balance went head first backward over my tuber into the river with my feet caught in the float tube. Obviously, I survived with no real personal damage; don't count the Blackberry and Camera. Had it been necessary I was wearing a manual inflation PFD, but got my head above my feet without pulling the activation cord, although it crossed my mind. Lesson here is the PFD, good idea to have it on. I dumped the water out of my waders, wrung out my wool and silk socks, put on a rain jacket to retain upper body heat. I was pretty comfortable for another 3 hours and caught 6 or 7 trout.

, I am 62 years young and only had 1 other fish hook in my hand, I was due, and luckily I was also prepared. I could have been in a remote area with the band aid over the hook I could have made it a few days. Without the PFD I may have had a tendency to panic. Just because you have gone for years without an incident just means you are due. Be careful and be prepared.