+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mustad circle hooks

Hybrid View

Default mustad circle hooks

has any body tried the new circle hooks from mustad / are they any better with hook up then others / i guess what im asking are they worth trying ?

I thought the new Circle Hooks were designed for use with bait to improve getting an adequate hookup on the corner of the fishes mouth instead of gut hooking them.
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 08-15-2008 at 01:46 AM.

Default circle hooks

i just got a catolog with them down to size 16 / think thats a bit small for bait maybe im wrong

Smile C51s Bln

Definitely!!!
    Hook land ratio of 97% for LG mouth bass. about a 15 % improvement in my statistics

I've been doing all my White bass/hybrid streamers on circle hooks fow a while now and love them. I've recently started tying on the smaller ones for crappies and 'gills. No more swallowed flys! Just remember this, all you have to do to set the hook is bring the line tight. Anything more and you'll often pull the hook right out of their mouths.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening.
    I have been using for sometime the Mustad Light Gauge Circle Hooks, ref number 39951npbln and Maruto BKN's for my saltwater fishing and Bass fishing.

To me, they are the best thing invented for fly fishing ever, mainly because now, I get hook-ups for free.

To explain, now, with the aid of a Circle hook, I find that a fish has taken the fly, I did not know the fish had the fly.......... and has now swam towards me and all of a sudden I am connected to a fish, a supprise to both the angler and the fish. The number of times this has happened is somewhat amazing.

And then the case of non rejection.
    Fish because there is no sharp point to feel, accept the Circle hook and still feed after taking my fly, till I stop the line's forward movement.

Please notice, there is no so called strike with a Circle, rather just stopping the line, which to me is far more exciting.

Am I a fan of Circles, yep, sure am.

Kind regards,
    UB

I'll have to check these out. I have long used large circles for bunny strips for bass, but had heard (don't remember where) that the small circles were ineffective. Where are you finding these circles & what sizes are working for gills & other "pan sized" species?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Debarb

Remember to de-barb your hooks.
    Circle hooks can be a beast to take out of your catch and debarbing makes this task much easier.
    I have never lost a fish I would attribute to having a barbless hook.

+ Reply to Thread