+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 Handed Rods?

Default 2 Handed Rods?

Today I had a chance to cast a couple 2-handed rods, and I have to say it was an eye-opening experience. Despite my poor performance, I am intrigued by these long rods and all the wierd casts they can do. I think I will be hitting amazon.com for some books and maybe a DVD on 2handed rods and spey casting.

There doesn't seem to be much info on FAOL about two-handers, other than a section on building them. Are any of you guys out there fans of the long rods? They seem to cost an arm and a leg, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of the less expensive lines of rods. (some Loomis, CND, Temple Fork, Redington, Orvis)

For someone like me who prefers a short, medium action rod, fishing for salmon and steelhead with a 14 footer would be a big jump. Anyone else out there enjoy 2-handers / spey casting? I'm a complete beginner at this, so if anyone has any tips on tackle selection or casting instruction, I'd love to hear em.

JBW

[This message has been edited by Jordan (edited 28 September 2005).]

Jordan,

I use the two-handed rods on occassion. My main interest is in fly presentation and line control on larger rivers, not distance casting.

My rods are mainly Sage however, a close friend sold me his TFO 12.5ft 8wt and it is a nice rod for low end pricing. You also have rods in the same price range by Echo, Albright, Cortland,,,,I belive they are all made along with the TFO series in Korea in the same factory.

The lines for two handed rods are not even close to the standard AFTMA sizes,,,,an 8wt two handed rod is not made for an WF8F line,,,,it is a very long belly and heavy spey line. You can ref. the Rio Products and S.A. sites for more detailed specs. You have Skagit heads, short, medium and long belly lines for specific conditions in two handed casting. Interchangable sinking tips are also very popular and rather expensive.

I strongly suggest visiting a fly shop that has a slection of two handed rods and get instruction from someone who fishes with them. It will save time and needless expense.

Regards,
    FK

My area stinks for 2-handed information / resources. None of the fly shops around sell the rods, and there is only one FFF certified two-handed rod instructor in my state, and he lives on the other side of the mountains.

I've done a little research online, and ordered Simon Gawesworth's book, but I'm pretty much at a dead end as far as face-to-face instruction goes. I think this is going to have to be one of those things I kind of figure out on my own, and I think it will be a lot of fun.

So, if you see a big guy flogging the water with a 14foot rod in some Colorado mountain lake, have pity on him; he's not crazy - he's me!

I highly recommend Simon Gawesworth's book and companion DVD for two-handed and spey casting.

And FK, the TFO rod factory in Korea does not manufacture rods for any other rod companies. In fact, I believe that some of the rods you mention are actually made in China, which is a whole different country.

Jay Horton
    Advisory Staff
    Temple Forks Outfitters

Mr. Horton,
    Is Simon's new DVD available now?

Thanks,
    Rich

Jordan.
    The very first thing you should do is come over to [url=http://www.speypages.com:0219f]www.speypages.com[/url:0219f] and then spend the next week or so going through everything that seems to relate to you and the direction you wish to take in regards to spey casting/fishing. Dana's site is THE place for spey info and the guys there are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
    Do a search on ebay for "spey" and you will see most of the makers represented and also the prices they are going for. Don't be intimidated as you can get into a starter outfit for about $200.00 if you ask around. Gawesworth's RIO video is awesome as well as Derek Brown's. Look for either on the bay or one of the lads at speypages may have one and certainly one of the shops that sponser the speypages will have one in stock.
    Again, try not to be too overwhelmed with the site as all the terms and lines, and rods, and loops and splicing and cutting lines to alter casting, etc, etc, etc and all that is far down the road. You need a 12'6"- 14'rod for a 8/9wt and a reel that balances the rod,, nothing more. Dont get caught up just yet in the need to posess evry rod line combo,, that will come later. Watch one of the two vids i mentioned and hold the butt section in your hand as you watch and go through the motions to get a feel for the movements of the cast and then get out and practice. Single spey, double spey and maybe the snake roll will be a good starting point. Have fun and remember to ask alot of questions,,,but,,, do a search for the question you may have first as almost everything has been asked before(we were all rookies once).The Redington "Red Fly" rods are an excellent value and would be a great starting rod I would think. As for books,, I dont know of a better one than Simons new one entitled "Speycasting".
    Good luck and remember,, two hands ARE better than one!!!
    Salmon Chaser
    >< )))*>

------------------
    Atlantic Salmon guide for PEI, Canada
    www3.pei.sympatico.ca/flyfish

I think the best rod to start with is the TFO 12' 6" six weight. Its light, you can over hand it, and its a great rod. I started out with a 15 foot, and then a 13'6". I use my TFO most, and use the 13'6" to go after winter fish. The 15 is fun on ocassion, but big sticks are a handful. I wish I would have started with the TFO. Spey rods are great, and my prefered way of fishing.

I would not start with a big rod.

You can swing, dead drift better, and it is great for soft hackles.

Forgot one thing. Get the John/Amy Hazel DVD. It is clear and very usable. The rest I think are better for when you are trying to refine your skills, not starting.

------------------
    - rriver

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 29 September 2005).]

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 29 September 2005).]

Hi Jordan,

Front Range Anglers in Boulder had a class for Spey a while back. Maybe they can recommend a resource for you.

It was a three session class and cost about $500.00 in total. That's why I didn't take it.

------------------
    Ken

There is a fine line between fly fishing and and just standing in a river looking like and idiot.

Jordan,

Spey rods are the ideal tool for covering lots of water on big rivers for big fish, fishing the downstream swing. Personally, I don't like to use them for trout or smaller steelhead - they just feel too heavy and clunky. But for adult (5lb plus) Salmon and Steelhead they are great. My favorite all-around rod is a 14' 8wt. There are a lot of rods in that category on the market and all of them have their pluses and minuses. The most important part of gear selection in my book is making sure the rod and line are a good match. You can have the greatest rod in the world with the wrong line and it won't cast worth a darn. Also, live instruction is hard to beat. $500 for a 3-day class is pretty steep. I used to teach spey casting for Sage, the going price at that time was $60 for a 4-hour class with 6 students. A class like that is a huge jump start. Don't believe it if someone tells you "spey casting is just a glorified roll cast" it's a completely different deal. The casts are dynamic and very cool because they switch directions. Once you get it down you will be "hooked". But then there is the question of what kind of water is suitable for it in your area. Some guys swing streamers at the Reef, but there isn't a ton of wadeable water, and spey rods are tough to work in the wind. The lower colorado (below Glenwood) might be good, too - but catching 15" trout on an 8-wt - or even a 5-wt - spey isn't my cup of tea. If you fish for adult steelhead and salmon, on rivers like the Umpqua or Skagit, they are perfect! But trout in the Rockies, not for me.

Anyway good luck on your quest, hope you get some useful information out of my reply.

Best,

-John

You have to talk to "Uncle Barry" at
    [url=http://www.aussiefly.com.au/:aa225]http://www.aussiefly.com.au/[/url:aa225]

Good luck!

Chris
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread