+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crushable Wool Hat

Default Crushable Wool Hat

I'm in the market for a crushable wool hat. Every time I cast in my baseball hat I remember that I should have crushed the barbs and that my right ear is hanging out there. Don't even bother mentioning Tilleys... I'm happy for all of you but they're too stiff and heavy for me. I'm thinking of a wool crusher of some kind with not too high a crown. Saw one in Blue Mountain Outfitters in Blue Mountain Lake, NY but can't remember the brand and wasn't smart enough to actually buy it. Any recommendations?
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Google it and get about 37,800 options to choose from.

LB

[This message has been edited by papafsh (edited 26 September 2005).]

Diane,

I apologize upfront...but I couldn't resist posting some optional hat selections.
    Smile it's all in fun.
    [url=http://www.phatpimpclothing.com/hi/phatpimp/buyphathat1.html:d7d3d]http://www.phatpimpclothing.com/hi/phatpimp/buyphathat1.html[/url:d7d3d]

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

Diane,
    I did a Google.....try calling Blue Mountain Outfitters..their phone number is on the site, but they are only open May-Oct. [url=http://www.adirondacks.com/bluemtoutfitters/:b5df5]www.adirondacks.com/bluemtoutfitters/[/url:b5df5]
    Maybe they have them & will ship?
    Hope it helps,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

diane

i have a crushable medium weight felt fedora made by red head in the usa and i find it very comfortable to wear. i bought is 3 years ago in a bass pro shop in texas.

i don't have a bass pro catalog but i see a hat that looks identical in cabela's fall catalog called "cabela's felt outback hat" item number sf-90-0238 for $29.95. hope this info helps.

mike

Fishinfool! You're on to something. some of those hats have both dubbing and ostrich feathers.. hrm.. Wonder if I could clamp a vise to the brim?
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

fishnfool, you should apologize! What an absolute hoot!!!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi Diane,
    For my late fall and winter fishing, I wear an Irish tweed wool rain hat (imported and waterproof).I inherited mine from one of my sons who outgrew it. I put a salmon fly pin on mine to spiff it up a bit. American knock-offs such as those made by London Fog can sometimes be found in the men's sections of better department stores. I suggest that you might explore that possibility. It has a small rim and is very comfortable as well as warm to me anyways.

Diane, I'm such a lousy caster that I can figure at least once each day the fly (usualy a lead wrapped bead head yet) raps me in the back of my "hat". Each time I congratulate myself for wearing a Safari hat (made by Columbia I think) which covers not only my ears but the back of my neck too.

Ain't too stylish but then again, wearing a size 14 Wooley Bugger in my right ear might get me some glances I'm not looking for y'know.

Food for thought.

------------------
    There's snow on the roof but the fire still burns in the oven.

Diane,

You might want to check out sierratradingpost/.com as they have several hats that might meet your needs at considerable savings. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread