I was out warmwater fishing ( I still cant believe that I admit it ,it is fun though) and ran into a co-worker and his adult sons. I was doing poorly at "catching" so I started shooting the bull with these young men. They were spin casting but paying attention to what I was attempting, to wit: casting.
They pipped up that it looked cool and I asked if they'd ever tried a fly rod. One guy said that he'd gotten a set up at wally world but didnt like it cause he couldnt figure it out. Game on!
I like a challenge at times and this was one of those times. I had my old Fenwick (glass) with me and a newer faster Orvis (graphite). I asked if anyone wanted a short simple lesson in casting ? Every one was up for it. These guys were all quick studies or I'm a teaching machine. They started with the Fenwick and then took up the Orvis (did that so theyd notice the difference in action, big difference between these rods). The Orvis got better results for them
After about fifteen minutes a piece they could all put out a simple roll cast and a straight cast out to about twenty five feet.
I havent had such a rewarding day on the water all year.All the guys wanted to keep fishing with my gear for the rest of the day. Too cool . They were getting little bass and little blue gill. These guys were all talking about getting some fly rods to keep going with it. I pointed them to some of the less expensive stuff for beginners .
I noticed that when I was showing these guys what to do , my casting improved dramatically. Slowing down sure did help me out .
Had a great day.Helped my spirit a lot.