+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader to tippet knot?

Hybrid View

Default Leader to tippet knot?

Would it be unwise to use the arbor knot for tippet to a furled leader with the loop in the leader? Arbor knot supposed to just keep getting tighter isn't it?

Why not just an improved clinch????..that's what I've been using. Never really thought about an arbor not, to tell you the truth.
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Blog Entries

Default Why knot?

I make my leaders with shorb loops on both ends and use a surgeons knot on the leader end of the tippet. I have "knot" had any problems thus far with this arrangement. It's quick, easy and makes for fast tippet changes...

Corvus
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

If you have a Shorb Loop in the tippet end of your furled leaders, I would recommend a Surgeons Loop or Perfection Loop. Makes it a lot eaiser to change tippet when the tippet you are using becomes too short from changing flies. If you use a knot which tightens down on the Shorb Loop, you take the chance of cutting your Shorb Loop when you attempt to cut the old tippet off. Now if you are using furled leaders with the tiny metal rings at the tippet end, you can use any knot you feel comfortable with. Cutting your old tippet off a metal ring will not damage your furled leader.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Easy surgeons knot: Basically a double overhand knot. Never have problems.
    Align ends of leader and tippet, make 2 loops over both and pull tight. Easy and it works. Caught 20 inch trout and 3lb bass with it.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

If you have shorb loops, try adding a 6ish inch piece of 4x or 3x tippet with loops on each end ( I use perfection loops ) to the furled leader, and add your working tippet to that. It saves wear and tear on the leader.

I'm fishing with furled leaders over two years old. I last change leaders only because I wanted a different color.

Gemrod -

I've never tied or used an arbor knot so I can't really respond to the question as you raised it.

I prefer the perfection loop for that situation, probably because I use it for all loops I put in leaders ( e.g. butt end of a hand tied knotted tapered leader or mono nymphing leader ) or tippet connections.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 08-12-2008 at 04:19 AM.
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread