+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How old is your oldest fly fishing paraphernalia?

Question How old is your oldest fly fishing paraphernalia?

I know some of you have been into flyfishing for a very long time. I was just wondering how old is your oldest fly fishing related item? For me its either aa automatic reel or flies from my grandfather flyfishing days. I estimate they must be 50 years or more, but I don't know for sure. I'll have to drag them out sometime and post them on the bb. I am sure some of you will know the answer right away.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

I've got stuff I do not use that is in the 50-80 year old range, but most of what I do use is less than 10 years old. My lucky hats, for instance, have to be put down and replaced every 6-8 months for public safety reasons.

Well I don't have much to start with but, when I move into my current house I found a plastic container with some flies in it. At the time I found them I didn't even FF so I put them up. Then after a year of FF I found them again, most of them had fell apart but there were a few skaters and steelhead flies that made it. I would say they are around 20-25 years old. I have caught fish with them and feel like I have maybe picked up where someone else left off.

My brothers built me a 2 piece fly tying desk, 35 years ago. It is solid maple. The top half has 10 big slots, then 8 drawers with white ceramic handles, and on the bottom there is 10 smaller slots. The bottom half (the heaviest part), has 3 big drawers on the left, a big table surface and 3 smaller drawers on the right. It is stained dark brown. This desk is my most prized possession. My brothers were just getting into wood working at the time and some of the charm is the rustic way it was built. I hope to post a photo of it someday.
    I still have my Eagle Claw glass fly rod, which was my first rod in 1965. One of my Fenwick glass rods and my Medalist reel are probably 38 yrs old. I'm sorry that I don't know what happened to my Automatic reel, that I had in the late 60's.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

I have a rod I bought in the 1950s I think it is fibreglass. The mondo cheap reel that came with it has no line left on it. I remember the line chipping and breaking apart.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

"Oldest Fly Fishing Item"???
    Hmmmm.............. probably, "Bishop", my fly fishing partner for over 30 years. He's the "oldest" since he's thankfully, 3 years older than I am.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks Paul for showing me a different way at looking at my question.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Blog Entries

In the very early '60s my father made several framed displays with flies he tied... He sold them to help make ends meet. I sure would like to find them. One I remember was huge and had a gray matt background. I especially remember the jungle cock eyes on several flies in the large frame.

That is my oldest memory of fly gear. I am sure I have older stuff around, but the memory is probably the best.

The frames may still be kicking around the UP of Michigan I suppose...
    art

My "Oldest" FF item is pushing 59 years old... ME

Smile oldest Paraphenalia

My dad,s fly rod from VL&A about 1920-25.
    Gerry L.

+ Reply to Thread