+ Reply to Thread

Thread: found a bunch of old rods

1. Default found a bunch of old rods

me and a friend were cleaning out his storage space and came across several old fishing rods. some conventional, but many fly rods. a few were Heddon and some South Bend and maybe others, but what caught my eye were that some were what looked like bamboo (shapewise).

i found out that my friend's grandpa was really into fishing but no one else in the family really seemed to care for the rods except as momentos. so i wondered, if they were gonna chuck em, if they're worth anything. if so, i can at least tell my friend what they're possibly worth but otherwise, i'd be more than willing to take them off their hands.

i don't know what year any of the rods are without further examination, but they look to be from maybe the 50's or 60's judging by the type and design of the few graphics. there were a few multi-piece rods made of split cane i assume with metal ferrules, cork handles, and some with sliding reel locks. once had a fake marble looking reel seat. the guides looked in good shape considering their storage and age but they are not pristine. didnt find any broken guides or tip tops in my quick examination.

so my questions: are they fishable? are they heirlooms? is there a website that has pictures so i can possibly identify these rods?

this is rally cool stuff that is like finding buried treasure for someone like me!

------------------
    take him fishing

I've got a couple of fiberglass rods that I really like. In my opinion they are underrated. Next week I'm going on vacation and I'll be taking an old 7wt fiberglass rod as my heavy rig.

I say take em fishing, that's what they were made for.

Heddon and South Bend bamboo rods can be very fishable and maybe worth some money. Some of the old fiberglass rods from that era may also be worth something.

You would need model #'s, sizes, etc. in order to find out possible value. eBay would be a good place to source value.

------------------
    Joe

[url=http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum:73ed3]http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum[/url:73ed3]
    There is an appraisal section where you can find out what you have. Remember to be as thorough as possible with your description. Read the opening few paragraphs at the top of the appraisal page as it tells you how to describe your rod to the members. Pics are also a good idea.
    The "marble" spacer sounds like Horrocks and Ibbotson.
    Good luck
    Salmon Chaser
    >< )))*>

The website given is an excellent choice to ask questions (well, ok, being the SYSOP I'm biased!) Check out my personal website for a little history about the rods you found it will give you some information you can use to ask your questions.
    Regards..........

------------------
    Oct Woods
    Visit my website:
    [url=http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/index.html:46f51]Fishnbanjos Place[/url:46f51]

+ Reply to Thread