+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Fly Tying Kits

Hybrid View

Default Beginning Fly Tying Kits

Any advice, I looked at Cabelas and Bass Pro, but thought I would run it by here and see if anyone has any suggestions. thanks, Shacked

Default Checked the sponsor site

and found what I was looking for, sorry to post in the wrong category, saw the fly tying category a minute ago.

Shacked;
    You posted that question in the right place. You'll get more responses here.
    Be careful of the "Kits", some are junk and contain tools you don't really need. Check out Hook & Hackle ( sponsor ), you can get the basic tools for around $30.00.
    May I ask what fly's you plan to start with?
    Welcome aboard!!

I started with the BassPro kit, most of the stuff in the kit is somewhat sub par but the video is very good. All in all it's a good way to get started but once you get started you're going to want to upgrade everything in the kit.

read this: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/kit/ and check out the fly tying lessons too. Some of the brand name suggestions may be out of date but the overall list is very good.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 08-09-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I suggest building your own kit. I received two as gifts a long time ago and found that 90% of the material I didn't use. Make a list of flies you want to tie and purchase the material accordingly. It will save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run. Good luck and tying is a great hobby.
    Pat

I got one from Bass Pro a couple of years ago and it was pretty good. I still use the vise that came in it.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

I recommend buying individual components instead of a kit. You will get what you want or need to tie particular flies, you can control the quality of EVERY part, and you won't have a lot of stuff left over that you will never use.

Do not be daunted by prices of some things. You don't need a ton of materials to get started. A decent vise (no need to spend $400), some tools, a selection of hooks, and a collection of furs, feathers, threads, and so forth.

stone river outfitters; one of our sponsors has a tool set they put together for beginners. great company to deal with. be warned you can get yourself in trouble looking at their catalog!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

IF at all possible, take a tying class. You will have a great outlook in what you really want to tie to begin with. Also you will always have someone to talk to later when you find so many different things that you want to try. They will be great friends, and alot of help. I advise against any KIT. A lot cheaper buying the tools YOU want.

+ Reply to Thread