+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I got a Cobb Barbeque

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Smile I got a Cobb Barbeque

I bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160203274311

The Cobb grill. Man does it ever work well. Makes the food nice and moist. If you put a liquid in the moat it is even moister. Sort of like beer butt chicken.
    The only down side I can see is that it only makes enough for 3-4 people at a time and it takes at least 2 hours. It will do a 3 lb chicken with some veggies on the side. It is good with burgers and weinies. a bit slow tho.
    The up side is that you can do a whole meal in it using only 6-8 charcoal briquettes.
    You just fill it up with food and briquettes a cup of water, a soda or beer. come back 2 hours later and your meal is done. No danger of fire you can make your meal on a plastic table as the bottom of the Cobb doesn't even get warm. The dome gets hot just as the lid to your regular barbecue does. There is absolutely no smoke what so ever
    I started it up with a roast, potatoes, and fresh cobs of corn. Set it on the picnic table then went fishing . My wife and the other campers kept watch to make sure no kids went near it. When I returned 2 hours later my meal was piping hot and delicious. I find it a lot more convenient than a dutch oven. It came with a carry bag and it cleans up easily in the dishwasher.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Wow, looks like quite a deal. Never even heard of them before. Keep us posted on how it works. I suppose it will show up at the Idaho 'Fish-In'?
    Oh, by the way. I got a replacement fire extinguisher yesterday. It seems that I used up my old one on the big fire I had. Yup, set fire to my big Weber (propane) Silver. Grease had built up a bit on the lower drip grates and when I turned a steak,,, more dripped down and even closing the cover would not stop it. Five pounds of flower seemed to slow it some, but it recovered and got its own wind system (Bessemer effect) going again. Grease fires are very interesting, but, take it from me, better to take some of those things out of your grill and clean them off occasionally. I will.

Blog Entries

Yep I'm gonna bring it to Lowell. Unfortunately it is too small to do a Turkey. Maybe I'll steal a chicken.

I sure will miss Lowtecjoe's Dutch Oven cooking. That in itself is worth going to a fish in.

I did a trout in it today, Yummy.

One of the good things about the Cobb is that the fat drips down into a water moat.

Jim you can bring your Webber to Idaho then we can all sit around the grease fire telling lies.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 08-09-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Question

GBF,

Is it a well built grill? I mean do you think it will last say 5 years of moderate use (couple dozen times a year)?

I like that it uses around 8 coals rather than a whole bag.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Normand Guest

ive seen them before but i have a weber baby q and stand and its great for 1 person

i like the "big green egg" but too expensive for my bbq tastes

Blog Entries

Tyronefly.

It is built like a tank. You can get an all stainless model for about 20 bux more. I would bet that it will last for many years under heavy use.

It is called the Cobb after the fuel it was developed for. It was developed for use in Africa and uses dried corn cobs for fuel. They are cheap and plentiful and are the most used fuel in that part of the world. There is a no frills one that has been mass produced for the African people who can't afford much of anything.

I use Kingsford, a good quality briquette, which stays hot for about 3 hours. For a large roast after about 2 hours you should top off the 6-8 briquettes with two or three more.

I dump out the fat each time I use it so I don't have a grease fire like some people have had. snicker snicker, If you leave it sit after the cooking is over the coals will burn down to ash powder and are easily disposed of. If your out camping you can just dump the coals in the campfire.

Normand

I have a portable similar to yours, the main difference is the fuel and the fact that it has the moat you add liquid to. Cooking this way is virtually set it and forget it. The done to overdone time is quite long about 3/4 of an hour so its quite hard to over cook. If you add wine or a squirt of lime to the moat it imparts a wonderful flavor to the meat. With propane you have to watch it carefully and check it often or risk burning or over cooking the meat*. You wouldn't dare start it up and then leave it alone for 2 1/2 hours like you can with the Cobb.

I still can't quite believe I bought the darned thing without consulting the members of faol first.
    Can you say impulse buyer? My house is chock full of stuff I bought, used once and then never again. I am using my Cobb all the time and the regular BBQ is getting dusty.

Gawd I sound like a commercial.

*With Apologies to Hank Hill.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 08-09-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: none of your darn business

+ Reply to Thread