+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly reel lube question...

GaryO,
    Not to worry. Some on here may be a bit zealous, but we all mean well!! If there are two sides to something, prepare to hear twenty!

Sorry you haven't been formally welcomed to the Board!! A terrible oversight!! That doesn't mean, though, that you get out of bringing the beer and donuts.

Jump right in! We're glad you're here!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks, Betty. All these forums are useful if you can get past the preaching aspect. No offense taken...
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
    I recently read an article suggesting that a new reel should be broken down and cleaned of the factory lubrication and then replaced with a 5W synthetic oil (sewing machine oil?). And add a little silicone grease to the main shaft. What say you? What do you folks use?
    5W synthetic oil is probably motor oil. Usually the info. is 5W-30 or something like that and has to do with the viscosity of the oil. I don't really think this is good for fly reels. But the lubricants the other people have mentioned are good. Probably the grease or lube from the reel manufacturer is fine for now.
    Jon

My only reservation on doing this to any mid priced or higher end reel would be that you may void the reels warrenty.

Tom

You are new here. You got exactly what you requested. People's experience and what they use. All I posted was what you requested. What I use. I AM offended by your post about preaching. I for one cannot go through this thread and separate "preaching" from the "experience" you asked for. How hard it would be to set here and think....is this preaching.....or info. Maybe I should not post this.....? So why don't you just unjoin?
    So there.

Gemrod

GaryO, There is some great answers here.
    As far as the sewing machine oil...I just remembered Marvel Mystery Oil. I forgot all about that stuff. Good in sewing machines, and even my Harley to compensate for the no lead gas. I wonder what it would do in a reel?

I did get some good, thoughtful answers. Appreciate that.
    Last edited by GaryO; 08-09-2008 at 02:47 AM.

I use "Super Lube", Synthetic grease, by SYNCO of Bohemia,NY. I also use "Super Lube" oil by the same company. To keep the reels exterior clean I use "Boeshied" T-9.

I usually use Penn Reel oil and grease. Everyone's suggestions will most likely work fine, one option might last longer than another but as long as you keep up on regular maintances that shouldn't matter. However I would recomened not using rust penatrent oils such as WD40 or PB Blaster since these have a tendancy to damage seals and synthetic material. I wouldn't use White Lithium either since it gets abbrasive as it ages and dries out.

Thanks to you folks (mostly) for your thoughts and suggestions. Many good ideas...
    Gary

+ Reply to Thread