+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly reel lube question...

Default Fly reel lube question...

I recently read an article suggesting that a new reel should be broken down and cleaned of the factory lubrication and then replaced with a 5W synthetic oil (sewing machine oil?). And add a little silicone grease to the main shaft. What say you? What do you folks use?
    Last edited by GaryO; 08-07-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Skelly cotton picker spindle grease. Looks kinda like lithium bearing grease. Works great.

Blog Entries

Smile Able Lube Kit

GaryO,

You can read all sorts of things, since every one has an opinion on just about everything. But, just because someone has an opinion, that doesn't make it right.

Personally, I say why do it? So my opinion is No. Maybe if I was going out after Marlin or 100+ pound Tarpon I would maybe consider doing what the article suggested. Maybe.

Reel manufacturers know what they are doing. Go with what it came with and then buy yourself an Abel Lube Kit from Stone River Outfitters. The kit is well worth it and will last you for years.

http://www.stoneriveroutfitters.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=GAD_K080201&preadd=action

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 08-07-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

LOON reel lube, and have for many, many years.
    Some waters I fish there is sand, so I rinse my reel with line in Ivory Snow mixture, let dry then a little LOON.

I don't buy it. May be a used reel, but not a new one. I would go with the manufacturer suggestion. As Sagefisher mentioned, the Abel lube kit should work with any reel and the pouch fits neatly away in you vest.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Some reels, like Ross, specifically warn to not lube their reels.

Jeff

Absolutely. Lamson has a sealed baring as probably allot do these days. Also some with the drag system right there, you sure wouldn't want juice on that!
    The reels I lube are gear and of course Vosseler which has no drag.

New or used. If I get a reel in....I immediately remove the clicker if I can. Clean the manafacturer stuff out of it with denatured alcohol. Lube the gears with "Hot Sauce" grease and the spindle with "Hot Sauce lubricant.
    Gemrod

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GaryO View Post
    I recently read an article suggesting that a new reel should be broken down and cleaned of the factory lubrication and then replaced with a 5W synthetic oil (sewing machine oil?). And add a little silicone grease to the main shaft. What say you? What do you folks use?
    wouldnt the reel manufacturing engineering folks know whats best for lubricating their fly reels?? dont believe everything you read.

i have some of the original ross gunnison reels that have been used quite extensiely and they have never been relubed or even serviced.

Have I given some of you folks the idea that I believe everything I read? All I wanted was some evaluation or experience as it applies to replacing the factory lube. My own experience shows some of the factorys way over-do lubrication with some of the most questionable materials I have ever seen. So there...

+ Reply to Thread