+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ausable Holy Waters

Hybrid View

Default Ausable Holy Waters

My wife, Nicki, and I fished the Ausable in Grayling this weekend. Kind of a warm up for our extended visit in early September for the river cleanup.
    Tricos in the morning and BWO's at sunset #26's and #24's, and Patriots during the day #14.

Nicki's brown 11" on Friday.

My brookie on Saturday

Nice bonus on Saturday afternoon

Always have a good time there, but the fish were more selective than ever.

Tricos were a size 26 that they refused until we trimmed the wings down even further. A small aquarium dipnet held in the current on Sunday morning would yield dozens of tricos in ten seconds of seining.

Blue winged olives were a size 24 in the evenings that would start a feeding frenzy just as it got too dark to see your fly and making retying a new one next to impossible.

Also plenty of canoes especially on the South Branch, more so than the main branch. It doesn't put down the fish, but it does interrupt the fishing while they pass by. Generally a better behaved crowd than usual.

If you have the time try attending the Fall River Cleanup, it is a great time and there is less garbage every year. You'll meet great people, a free meal!and get a chance to wade new water while helping the river!

Glenn

Glenn -

Hard for me to imagine those little tiny flies you were fishing since where and when I fish out here just doesn't include, by happenstance, not intention, the tricos and really small bwo's. I can hardly imagine getting one on the tippet in good light, let alone in the evening !!

Nice set of pics of the various species you caught - brown, brookie, and rainbow. That rainbow picture would look great in an 11" x 14" natural wood frame.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

<Somewhere in the Island Nation of Ohio, Kaboom1 think fine thoughts of Tricos and sighs wistfully...>

+ Reply to Thread