+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tying vise

it may just be my overriding desire to improve/invent things for fly fishing/tying, I have always disliked having to adjust the gape on the jaws on a cam vise (due to never being regimental enough to tie a dozen of one pattern) and like the idea of an inline vise with the lever action jaws I have looked long and hard at the Waldron vise with the star screw adjustment and absolutely love the design, but I can't justify the ?400 (800$) price tag

Normand Guest

i think the snowbee-wadron vise is a little different and cheaper than the waldron vise

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/vices_flies...dressings.html

yeah I had a look at that one too Norm, but as I stated above I am not a great fan of the cam system vise.

Garic,

I have looked long and hard at the Waldron vise with the star screw adjustment and absolutely love the design, but I can't justify the ?400 (800$) price tag.
    I can't make the present exchange rate situation any better, but...

A dark horse in this race, and one often overlooked, is the LAW Traveler vise. Same jaws design with the star wheel operation, in a traditional rotary (not in-line) design. A real cracker of a vise, where rotary tying is not a pre-requisite. The Traveler shares the superb finish and smoothness the full size LAW Bench vise is justly famous for, but at a considerably lower price.

You may want to check it out.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

I understand about switching sizes. That is why I got the Vosseler vise, with both sets of jaws. It is a rotary vise on both sides, but it is a big knob on the back of the jaws that loosens and tightens.
    I love all the positions it offers and really like the suction cup holder.

Someone posted earlier about the Regal Revolution. I didn a quick Google search and found a nice picture. If this trips your trigger go for it. For that money, I personally would buy a Barracuda or one of the Renzetti vises. But if this is what you are after, cool. But why aren't they very popular?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Normand Guest

just for s%$#s and giggles can the regal head shown below be adapted to any manufacturers "true rotary" vise??
    Attached Images Attached Images

The revolution is already "true rotary" just with a horizontal head. If you were going to adapt it to another vise you wouldn't need the revolution head, a regular Regal head would do. I'm not a big fan of the revolution, just pointing out it's existence.

Jay, the regal is rotary, but not true inline rotary, the only way to be even close with that type of head is if the hook shank was in the middle of the jaws, as oposed to above as in a true inline.

Normand, that is exactly what I am planning to do with the jaws I have, all it needs is an arm with the right bend and a collar to take the head assembly and it's done, just need to fins someone with the knowhow and tools
    Last edited by Garic; 08-05-2008 at 08:36 PM.

The Regal Revolution is true/inline rotary. The head is NOT the same as the standard Regal head. The jaws are offset below the center of the head so the hook shank is inline with the center of rotation. If you position the jaw horizontally and put the hook in horzontally and spin the head, the hook shank remains horizontal.

+ Reply to Thread