Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
Jon -

While at Jimmy's, I opened and checked the contents of two boxes of VersiTip 7 wt, two boxes of VersiTip 8 wt and one box of VersiTip 9 wt.

The results are : The two boxes of 7 wt each contained four tips - the floating, intermediate, and two sinking tips. The two boxes of 8 wt and the one box of 9 wt each contained five tips - the floating, intermediate, and three sinking tips.

Not being satisfied, we called the General Manager at Rio ( since he is a friend, it is fun to bust his chops once in a while ). He confirmed my earlier interpretation of the website language and the results of the "scientific" inquiry into the matter at Jimmy's.

The rationale for not including the fastest ( heaviest ) sinking tip in the 7 wt and lower weight lines is that they will not support the fastest sinking tip and continue to float.

All five boxes that we looked into were priced the same. I did not think it was my place to raise an issue of pricing with Rio's GM ( friends or not ).

John
Thanks, that was fast!

It is a bit odd to sell a line with four tips at the same price as the one with five tips. Unless you look at it this way, the buyers of the heavy lines 8 wt and higher get a bonus tip. Rio should promote the VersiTip lines like that.