+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linville River NC

Hybrid View

Default Linville River NC

As summer is coming to a close I felt the need to do something with myself. Not that I haven't done anything with myself all summer but I haven't really made any bigger trips. So, this morning my wife and I got up and made the trip to the Linville Gorge which is just north of Morganton. This was my third trip to the gorge since I have moved down to North Carolina.

Before the trip I rigged my wife up with a spinning rod as she hasn't quite mustered up the guts to try the fly rod out yet. She is just really getting comfortable with a spinning rod for that matter. As for myself I rigged up 5 wt and figured I was ready to roll. Unlucky for myself, I dropped my fly reel and dented the spool so it is not use able any mlore. I didn't realize the reel was dented before getting down the gorge to the river. Being almost smart I did pack an extra spinning reel so I wasn't completely out of luck. More like, just a little bummed out as I hoped to fly fish.

Here is the report:

I caught about five or six, 5-8" small mouth and my wife caught a very pretty little green sun fish. We didn't fish a ton of water as we were a little afraid of getting caught in an afternoon thunderstorm. Most of the pools had quite a few baby small mouth bass in them. I am thinking there has to be some nicer fish there somewhere.

I would really like to be able to spend some more time down in the gorge but it is a pretty long drive (as most of my new fishing water is here in NC) and it isn't quite a place I want to go adventuring off by myself. I consider myself very fortunate my wife was willing to do the hike with me today. I might have to wait it out a while before I ask her to make the trip with me again. I don't think she is quite as adventurous as I am.

There you have it! I figured I would share a bit of my trip today.

Default Gorge part II

I am off to head into the gorge again this morning. The weather has cooled a bit so it should make the hike in and more importantly, out a little easier. Today I am bringing a friend a long that is fairly new to fishing in general so it should be an interesting morning.

I think he has a digital camera so I will try and get some pictures this time.

+ Reply to Thread