Yes that is right, Fish and Game NZ are going to ban felt soled waders from October 1st. The reason is that Fish and Game claim felt soles can spread didymo between rivers. However we are not banning trampers with wooly socks who may cross many rivers and streams in a days tramping, nor are we banning Kayaks or jet boats that travel between water sheds with lots of water in them. Nor are we stopping Dairy farmers in the South from taking water from didymo infected streams and spraying it on pasture that drains in to non infected waterways.
The North Island has no didymo infected areas so how excactly could my felt soled waders (which I also clean between watersheds) spread didymo in the North Island?
They would be better off banning the dim witted scientists who insist on useing the same sampling equipment between watersheds. They even caused a didymo scare by taking samples in the North Island in equipment already infected by use in the South Island.
Sorry for the rant but it seems to me the only guys taking the threat of didymo seriously are the anglers and the only guys being targeted by stupid rules are the anglers.
End of rant, sorry.
Mike.