+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How?

first i wouldnt stand above the fish because as you can see in the picture the silt that is going to go right through the fish making them know something aint right

Blog Entries

Default upstream

Jimmie is fishing upstream.

Already fished water he is standing in and does NOT have the casting
    ability to cast with trees above him...he was limited to rollcasting.
    Last edited by spinner1; 08-04-2008 at 01:58 AM.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

I always enjoy learning from someone like you who spends much more time on the water than I do. I still have my ideas on how to approach holes even with my limited experience. I like to fish the tail water section first. Sometimes fish hang at the tail section of the hole. I don't like to cast straight into the middle of the hole and line a big fish and spook him. I also have learned (from a very wise man) that if you take a few fish they tend to move upstream to relocate so if I fish the tail section first they tend to move into the center of the hole before I push them completely out of the hole.

I tend to fish either side of the main current first. These two feeding edges are where the fish are waiting for their meals. The fish don't have to expend much energy to take a meal on the seams so that is an efficient place for them to wait. After these two edges, I fish right in the main current and then the two edges of the banks.

As much as I like to catch brook trout, I find them not as sophisticated as the brown. They are much more tolerable to me standing on top of them as I experienced again this past weekend when I pulled 4 or 5 brookies out of the same hole while only having out a few feet of line and standing almost on top of them. Every body of water is different though and I always try and fish it as though a large brown lives there and if I catch brookies, well they are still fun.

Rick

Blog Entries

Since this is brookie fishing, I would go with something flashy. If I was feeling good about my skills that day (roll casting and clean difts) I would probably try a dry and a dropper. The dry could be a parachute with a Krystal Flash abdomen (e.g. Parachute Patriot) or something to match an visible hatch (Adams? Terrestrial? etc...) The dropper might be a flashback nymph probably small but with at least some weight. Or I might wimp out and cast a PTN or GRHE... Maybe a flashback, silver-ribbed French John? (nymph hook, small French tinsel rib, purple silk floss abdomen, peacock herl thorax, holographic silver tinsel "wingcase", beadhead optional). Named after a Coureur des Bois who was active in the Ohio and Tennessee River valleys in the 18th century.

Thumbs up

I also enjoy seeing what everyone else would do in this situation.

Maybe we could make this a regular type of thread to benefit those of us with less knowledge/experience?

+ Reply to Thread