Quote Originally Posted by Thwack View Post
Sierra Trading Post has plenty of good fly rods available as closeouts...brand new for hefty discounts. Perfect if you want to try something without risking full price (and you have some idea of what you're after)...you won't get a chance to test drive them like you can at a local fly shop though.

Every year or so, seems like the local shops have some closeout models...usually about 30% off. They let you try before you buy and can answer a ton of questions that the web places just aren't set up to handle.

I've shopped both methods.

For 6wts, I recently picked up an Albright EXS from Sierra Trading Post...delivered to my door for just under $130. Brand new. Hard tube and all. Fishes very nicely!

Get on their email list and they'll send discount offers once in a while...stack those on top of their normal closeout prices in order to get deals like the one I just mentioned. I had one the other day that I passed on...25% off stuff in their clearance pile...could've had a bamboo 4wt for just under half of retail (but still too much $$ for a rod I'd be willing to use).
I'm on there list since last winter, a guy over on speypages clued me up.