I also have had quite a few smallmouth flyrods.
What I have found:
A CPS Redington is the best value for a high end X Fast rod. $300 but it is lighter than the LU of the FLi
A 4pc 9' 6wt CPS is only 3.4oz. A beautiful green color with the best cork of any rod.
A Orvis Clearwater II 4pc 9' 6wt is only 3.25oz. But the cork isn't as good and a med fast action. $189!! A beautiful black grey finish and very forgiving to cast.
I have several St Croixs, a Sage FLi, a Redington CPS and one Orvis Clearwater II. Even though the cheapest, I like my Clearwater the best.
Only prob when you purchase used rods..... they don't have the new technology. I bought a new Avid when they came out with IPS...... my old style Avid was half price.... for a new one.
Orvis has come up with a new scrim technology to make the rods lighter than any other. Light is good IMHO! The lighter the better!

They are my two favs for sure. If I had big bucks to spend, I would get a Z-Axis or a Helios...... Now those rods are so light you can't feel them in your hand!!! And both are fast action with a wonderful cast.
7 beans for a rod is a bit much........ maybe next year.