Thread: Careful Shipping Rods

Threaded View

Default Careful Shipping Rods

Received a rod the other day in a postal triangular box. The box was broken in half on 2.5 sides. The only thing holding it together was the Priority Mail piece of tape going along that side.,.....and a post office sticker saying "Received Damaged" I was pretty upset on the way home. Really by the time I got home I really had developed a bad taste in my mouth over every thought of it. The man said even though no tube he would package it to arrive safely. You look into the box and all you see is a rod sock. The box actually gave the impression if not for the rod it would have separated. Like....the rod bent but didn't break. Unbelievable how the post office handles things. The TRIANGULAR box...believe it or not had FOUR creases in it between top and bottom of box. I thought the person had just thrown the rod in the box and paid the postage. If that is all that you can see is a rod sock in a triangular box it looks like no packaging. When I got home I barely touched the box and it split and the top fell back. However it did indeed have newspaper around the tip and butt....but none in the middle. So I think the stuffing in the middle just fell out during shipping. Rod does not appear to be damaged. I have successfully put it aside in my mind and will fish it someday. Remains to be seen how many fish it will land. I know. Too many words. Just trying to explain. I took a bunch of pictures but it is too much trouble to post them. Just want you all to know what can happen.

I am not angry at anyone. I believe the shipper thought he was shipping it safely. So this is a heads up for him as well.

I even advocated using the triangular boxes at one time because one I received was in a bigger box that was a lot thicker, stronger, and bubble wrap inside. This box was a smaller version and not near as thick of sides. I got by lucky.

This is just a heads up. I would not recommend shipping a rod anymore....without a tube.

Just FYI

Gemrod
    Last edited by Gemrod; 08-01-2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: mis-spelled words