Thread: Best Fillet Knife?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf
    The question is which fillet knives will take and hold a great edge?
    Is there a really good fillet knife out there that is fairly reasonably priced?
    I have used pocket knives before to fillet. A knife specifically made for filleting is nice to have though and a thin six inch blade as opposed to a thick two and half to three inch blade speeds things up. The fillet knife I have is called a Falcon. It is all black plastic with a thin stainless steel blade with the signature "J. Martliin Tinland" (as close as I can tell) on the six inch blade. It has a plastic sheath with a ceramic "V" sharpening insert and belt loop. I got the fillet knife when I got a pair of Wolverine boots on sale a long time ago. There was a ticket that came with the boots I mailed in and they sent me the fillet knife. I have been using the fillet knife ever since.

I like stainless steel blades. They don't rust or corrode and perform in saltwater as well as freshwater. The ones I have hold their edge for a good long while once they have a good edge on them. The downside is that I've found it harder to put an edge on stainless steel blades if the blade edge needs rough sharpening (the edge is notched), easier if the blade edge is only dull and just needs fine sharpening. Carbon steel blades I've found are the easiest to put an edge on the blade but for me do not hold an edge as long and the blade is subject to rust and corrosion if the blade is not maintained by cleaning and oiling.

Just did a Google on it and suppose to be made by Rapala. This one is a newer model than mine but is similar:
    http://shorterlink.com/?G2IZKO
    Last edited by dixieangler; 08-01-2008 at 02:33 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"