+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next Build

Hybrid View

Smile Next Build

Ordered a Sevier Tiger Eye 6' for 2/3 wt 2 piece blank from Schneider Rods yesterday.

Will pick up the components, a St. Croix reel seat and grip combination, black single foot guides, tip top and hook keeper, and black thread this morning from Jimmy's All Seasons Angler in Idaho Falls.

Plan to take more time and care on this one to end up with a nicely finished small stream rod. Should be able to finish building it by the end of next week and get it out on some of the creeks around here the following week.

From everything I've read about the Tiger Eye blanks this rod should be nearly perfect for my casting style, and it should be a real kick to fish for bows and cutts mostly in the 8" to 12" range, but up to 18", on some of our small streams.

Really looking forward to building this one and fishing it !!
    The fish are always right.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of this creation, and hearing the reviews when completed!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Can't wait to see this one John!

Blog Entries

Interested to hear what you think of the T.E. Blank..........I've been building them (all weights and lengths) for some time and havent heard a complaint yet. Good luck and Good Fishing.

Got started on building the rod yesterday. By late afternoon, I had the reel seat assembled and epoxied and the grip prepped. This morning I did the final assembly on the reel seat and grip and epoxied them to the blank.

This afternoon, I was ready to start with the guides, spacing, aligning, and perhaps wrapping a couple if I got that far. BUT, before I started with the guides, I happened to notice a comment by spoonplugger on my earlier thread regarding guide sizes. His comment caused me to take another look at the spacing and size chart I was using, and to realize that I had misinterpretted it to the point of really screwing up on the guides.

This post is not to update my progress on the rod build. It is to explain why I want to publicly thank spoonplugger for taking the time to make an observation on the earlier thread, which observation saved me from a mini-disaster.

On a broader note, spoonplugger represents so many people on this Forum who so freely give opinions, advice, suggestions, information, THEIR EXPERIENCE AND WISDOM, all of whom have earned and deserve my respect and gratitude.

THANKS to you all.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Smile

John.....here's another suggestion. Using guide charts are fine , but you have to understand these measurements are general. Here is what I do ,which may be a help in the future.

Using the general guide spacing provided by whatever chart you are using, tie your guides on with stretchy string (elastic string sold at most craft stores).
    Once you have all the guides on and spaced per the chart, take it out back and cast it.

If it cast fine for you, leave it alone. If not change the spacing around a bit until it does (it is easy when the guides are tied on as explained above).

Not all rods cast the same even though they may be the same length. Once you have the guides solid on the rod and finished , it's a heck of a time to realize the rod doesnt cast very well. Using the stretchy string allows you to get the optimum spacing for what you need........just a little trick I've learned.

+ Reply to Thread