This year while fishing in Roscoe a couple of people in the group went to the Dette shop and purchased some neversink skaters. While fishing the Willow we had a nice size fish that we all were trying to catch. We threw all kinds of flys at this brown trout. A couple of times he came to look over a couple but that was it nothing. We were now rummageing fly box's when someone said let's try the never sink skater. That fish would go after that skater when it was skating on the swing. We had a hard time setting the hook I do not know if there is a certain way to do it or not. Then when we looked over the fly we noticed it was tied with deer hair instead of hackle I was wondering if this could of been the reason of the hook set trouble. I had never fished the skater but did know about them and knew they originals used hackle. I was wondering if anyone had seen them tied with deer hair before. Maybe it is because people can not find the right size hackle any more they are moving to deer hair. I on the other hand like to keep things as close to original as I can. Nice article on the skater Neil I could only imagine what the secret to the fly is. Nothing like fishing the catskills and the history of that area.
Monty