+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Managing a camera on the water?

Default Managing a camera on the water?

How do you manage your camera while wading.

I had 2 incredible days of Smallie fishing and decided to tote a camera along today and placed in a waterproof bag in my wader pouch.

Never took it out, I caught at least 100 fish, mostly Rock Bass and only a 5-6 small Smallies today...seems the camera is a repellent as well.

Nothing was photo worthy but really got me thinking, how can I get this out and ready, shoot a photo all the while a wild A#$ Smallie is a floppin' and a fighting me?

I keep my camera on a lanyard around my neck and tucked into my waders. It was never in a bag and thats why it was ruined the second time it got dunked in a river! OOPS! Since its on my neck I can turn it on and shoot one hand it when I get a fish worth shooting. I bought an Intova camera which comes with a waterproof case for $140. So now I don't worry about the camera going for a swim. I find my fishing partners and the river to be more photogenic than the fish, at least there around more than the fish. My memories are about the people and place, Enjoy!

I usually keep mine on a zinger or stuffed in a shirt pocket. When taking pictures i slip the strap over my wrist and take the photos. One caveat is that it is a waterproof camera so i have no concerns if it is dunked in the water.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Like Crotalus, ours is on a good stout zinger. getting it out of a pocket is easy. It, too, is waterproof so a dunking is no problem.

Blog Entries

In my opinion, to get really good fish photos, you need someone to take them for you. Landing a fish and taking your own photos generally involves too many hands and some risk to the fish. Is it worth killing a fish to get its photo?

I am seldom satisfied with self-taken fish pics. They all end up as fish-beside-rod, and one in a hundred is worth showing someone, it seems.

Get the shot set up and the camera ready BEFORE the fish is landed. If you have a photographer, get the shot framed, the exposure right, and the camera focused, and THEN take the fish out of the water. I always figure it is a good shot if there is still water streaming off the fish *S*.

If you are taking your own shots, make sure you have a safe place to put the fish when you take the pic, somewhere it won't get hurt flopping around. Submerged grass is good, I have found. Fish-in-hand works for small fish, but after all these years, the fish big enough to be photo worthy are too big to be held out and photographed.

As for keeping and storing the camera, I generally have it in its case in the back of my vest, or in the pocket of the toon. I can get it out and set up with one hand if needed.

DG, totally agree...though, I wouldn't mind having a few shots for myself...I fish warm water so the beasts aren't quite so sensitive though care would be taken to the nth degree.

Waterproof camera...digitals???

I've got an Olympus Stylus 850SW - waterproof - on a furled lanyard hanging from my neck and resting either in a shirt pocket or the smaller compartment of my chestpack. It is set to the mode that I want to use if I catch a fish.

As soon as I get a fish on that I think I might want to photograph, I pull the camera out and hit the "on" button. The camera just dangles until I'm ready to take the picture. I probably photograph less than 10% of the fish I catch, but I am always ready just in case there is something about that particular fish that catches my eye.

I used to put a lot of fish on grass, sand, gravel, rocks, whatever was close at hand, in the "classic" fish and rod picture that Dennis mentioned. I didn't like doing that and stopped as soon as I figured out how to use the camera to take pictures quickly once the fish was in hand. I guess given a monster trout, I would do the fish and rod thing, but mostly I am just taking photos to show fish typical of the places I fish.

The waterproof feature is really nice - if a bit pricey. Takes all the worry out of in-stream photos, whether of fish, wildlife, scenery, etc. I can recommend the Olympus 850SW with no reservations AT ALL.
    The fish are always right.

I keep my waterproof Pentax on a coil type zinger & keep the camera in a vest pocket readily accessible.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I find that I usually forget to BRING my camera so this becomes much less of a issue.

Mark

Because I usually like to fish solo or split up w/my partner, I usually end up with pics of my hand and fish. Wrinkled wet hands is a sign of a successful day! It would be nice to get me in the pic one of these days but a quick pic of fish-in-hand suffices. My camera is around my neck and tucked in my wader- thankfully I have yet to swim deep enough to wet the camera.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread