+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly in the eye...Safety!

Default Fly in the eye...Safety!

This is a video of an unknown individual with a small fly stuck in their eye. This video shows the removal procedure...WARNING: Not for those with weak stomachs. I'm not trying to go for shock value but post this as a safety notice and reminder of why a good pair of glasses is important besides spotting fish.
    [url=http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/flyeye.html:f7e64]http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/flyeye.html[/url:f7e64]

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

[This message has been edited by Fishnfool (edited 25 September 2005).]

I ALWAYS wear glasses when fly fishing and so do my kids. It's the first thing i tell clients, newbies and friends who dont wear theirs. When you take up this sport/religion/hobby,,,whatever it is for you,,, it is not a question of IF you will hook yourself with a fly,, rather,, WHEN end WHERE!!! Pray it isnt the eye,,, or your kids or a friends.
    I have seen them in the neck, ear, head, lip, cheek and one fully through the thumb and none are much fun unless the barb is pinched,,, another fine reason for barbless flies.
    Wear glasses and pinch barbs,,, this should be a no-brainer!!
    Salmon Chaser
    >< )))*>

Oh Man!! Now I'm an old US Army MSC Officer who saw his share of bad things but there was no way I could finish watching that video without cringing. Very very good safety video.

It should be required viewing for every first time fly caster (and repeated yearly thereafter at licence renewal time).

Thanks for that Fishn(nobody's)fool. I hope everybody who logs in checks it out.

I ALWAYS wear glasses, and in fact I won't fish when the light is low (or at night) because I wouldn't be able to wear any of my polarized glasses, even the amber lens cuts down on the light too much late in the evening.

------------------
    There's snow on the roof but the fire still burns in the oven.

Thanks for Posting this.

I didn't look because I saw enough the time I watched a kid put a fly in his eye on the Yellowstone. Since then I don't allow anyone to cast around me without wearing a pair of glasses. Including complete strangers!

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Those eye guys are good!

Silver...2,
    "I ALWAYS wear glasses, and in fact I won't fish when the light is low (or at night) because I wouldn't be able to wear any of my polarized glasses, even the amber lens cuts down on the light too much late in the evening."

If you really want to fish then ...get some clear shooting glasses...at that time of day I don't think polarized makes any difference ....but if you are interested email me and I'll give you a suggestion for some polarized that seem to me seem to make things brighter than even the amber I used to use....
    may not respond quickly ....going fishing and then trying to harvest a bucktail....

------------------
    Respect Your Elders!

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum6/HTML/000069.html:80374]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum6/HTML/000069.html[/url:80374]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Yes this may have been posted and reposted many times....But Never hurts to pound this kind of thing home....we all need keep this fresh in our minds.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

wow...thats all i can say.

i have always worn sunglasses when fishing. but it was always more a matter of sight fishing rather than eye protection.

i just called my friend over to watch that. he is a n00b fly fisherman, and sometimes doesnt wear his shades. i told him, "I never want to see you fishing without your shades again." he didnt argue.

silvertop2--i have a pair of yellow lens Optic Nerve shades that i wear for fishing the evening hours. i bought them for mt. biking, but they are fantastic for increasing details with very little available light. food for thought...

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

As an RN who has spent a fair amount of time in ER, I've seen several instances of hook removal, about 3 or 4 involving eye penetration. The one I really remember is a 10 year old boy who came in with a 3/8 ounce FatRap hanging out of the back of his scalp. From the angle of entry, the lure had to have been headed downward in orientation to his head. I simply couldn't make sense of this angle of entry, given that he was the one casting and holding the rod. So I asked, and he said, "I hung the lure in a tree across the creek, and was jerking it loose. It came off, hit the surface of the water and glanced off. I was ducking and turning away when it hit me in back of the head." He was much calmer than his parents....*G*

Watched thaty video (gagging) and that was enough.I always wear glasses(got to,old eyes)
    RG?AR kids are fearless PARENTS are scared into constipation.(polite)
    I had a piercing(involintarily)in the ear lobe but the eye thats scary.

+ Reply to Thread