Clark Fork River fishing report:

On Monday, July 21, I did a drift with Brooks Sanford, owner of the Clark Fork Trout & Tackle shop located in St. Regis, Montana. We drifted the Clark Fork River between Dry Creek and St. Regis. When we arrived at the boat launch Brooks told me I would only be fishing dries that day, so we did not rig up either my nymphing or streamer rods. I got out my Sage VPS Light 5 weight 9 foot rod out, a true medium action rod, and Brooks got it ready for me.

He put on a huge foam hopper and we pushed out, rowed across the river and on one of my first casts I had a nice fat 15 inch Cutthroat on the line. That started a fantastic day of fishing. I caught so many fish in the 14 to 18 inch range that I have no idea how many there were. Mixed in between those were multiple dozens of fish in the 5 inch to 7 inch range, a great sign for the future years of fishing. The fish I was catching were Cutthroats, Rainbows and Cutt-Bows. All the fish looked really healthy and the 15 inch and larger fish all were really beefy with wide shoulders and lots of fight in them.

There were times I was casting to the rise, where fish were actively feeding on the surface and at other times I was casting to various seams in the river where Brooks knew fish would be waiting for a meal.

The river temperature stayed cool all day, even with the air temperature up in the very high 90?s. We saw a number of hatches coming off, PMD?s mostly and some Caddis and a few midges as well.

That was truly a great day of fishing.

When we got off the water around 6:30 PM, I had to drive to Whitefish, Montana to get ready to work at the FFF Conclave, but then that is another report.

For a great day of fishing call or contact the Clark Fork Trout & Tackle shop in St. Regis, Montana. I have been fishing with Brooks for many years now and I know he will treat you right.

Brooks Sanford
Clark Fork Trout & Tackle, St. Regis, MT
406-649-2538 / 888-658-1105
www.clarkforktrout.com

Larry ---sagefisher---