+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Festival Foods

Hybrid View

Default Festival Foods

I sure hope that you folks are visiting your local festivals to sample some really great homemade foods. Seems like there is a festival somewhere every weekend. We went to a neighboring church festival tonight because they are noted for their homemade stuffed cabbages. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Yes, I made a little piggy out of myself, had a great dinner, and supported the church's fund raising efforts. Mama had the Cavatellis with homemade meatballs (which I cleaned up for her), and topped it all off with a funnel cake for dessert. I love this time of year for the food and fellowship. Even though we were 8 miles from home, we saw several friends who were there doing the same thing we were.

Get out and support your local festivals, and get some great food as well. I can hardly wait for the clam bakes to start in the fall. It's all about the FOOD!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Like I need more food.

I have managed to miss every festival, fair, rally, [whatever]-days, and so forth, in the towns I have lived in, for most of my life. Gets in the way of important things, like fishing. Plus I really do not like crowds.

Oh, wait, I went to the watermelon festival in 1976.

DG

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I love those mini doughnuts you can only get at Carnival time.

One of the things on my bucket list is to attend a USA national barbecue cook off and feast on the winning entry.

I once tried some Chili at a cooking contest in Ontario that the lady said was Quote: "not very hot". I swear it pealed skin off my tongue and I couldn't feel my lips for 3 days.

Sadly the local fare at the local fair is usually just something from a local restaurant not homemade.

Before She passed away one of the local ladies used to have a homemade fresh fruit pie booth with pies to die for.

I love the fry bread from the Natives at the Omak stampede. Yummy.

Last year I had some East Indian food that was incredible. Hopefully they will be back again this year.

Gotta go now All this has made me hungry.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Down at Water Front Park, (on the Willamette River that runs through the city of Portland), is the "Bavarian Beer Festival, right now. After a few gallons, there, you drive south on Interstate 5, to Salem, for the "Willamette Valley Wine Festival".
    Leaving Salem, you cut across country, over to MacMinnville/Newberg, area for the "Mid Valley Wine Festival". When done there, it's off to Hood River, for the "Mount Hood Beer Fest".
    These all go on, during the SAME weekend and are all covered by car, very easily in a day's drive "around the circuit". (IF, that is, you can still drive, walk, and/or, crawl).
    On Sunday, of this same, long, weekend, if you wish to cleanse the hops and grapes from your innards, you head over to Cornelius Pass/North Plains, and join in the fun at the "Elephant Garlic Festival", held there.
    I don't know of very many, IF ANY, real "food festivals", held in Oregon. We take our festivals too seriously, and figure we can eat at home!?!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Deanna and I went (again) Saturday morning to a 'farmers market' here. Bought a 'brat' on a bun and shared it for breakfast. A big festival (lots of food) was going on this weekend in Port Gamble (near here) but work got in the way.

I'm waiting for the Apple Butter Festival in the fall, and all those fish frys.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

The "festivals" in our area also known as "Taste of (insert town)" have been diluted into a carnival of regular travelling festival food vendors. There may be one or two local food establishments represented and the rest are the trailered stands offering the usual stuff. I do have to say one of my simple pleasures from one of these "travellers" is the funnel cakes. I do my own bit of taste tailoring by adding fresh lemon juice ( from a lemonade stand) and zest to the powdered sugar coating. Adds zillions to my taste buds.

M<ark

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Down at Water Front Park, (on the Willamette River that runs through the city of Portland), is the "Bavarian Beer Festival, right now. After a few gallons, there, you drive south on Interstate 5, to Salem, for the "Willamette Valley Wine Festival".
    Leaving Salem, you cut across country, over to MacMinnville/Newberg, area for the "Mid Valley Wine Festival". When done there, it's off to Hood River, for the "Mount Hood Beer Fest"....
    Do you tow your own portapotty along, or does the state put them out at appropriate intervals along the route for the weekend ????
    The fish are always right.

Most of the small farm communities along the route, Sir John, have nice jails with very nice bathroom facilities. (think "Mayberry and Aunt B fixing your meals, etc.), not that I'D KNOW this, first hand of course, but so I've heard..............
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Well, Joe...... I guess you need to get out here to Sunny Southern Oregon, and have a look at the annual Spam Festival at Shady Cove...........Maybe bring ya one a them fly rods and have a go at the Mighty Rogue while you're at it...............ModocDan

+ Reply to Thread