Thread: quote "Fillet Knife Challange"

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Z
    PS Does this sound like they fillet slowly?
    How fast do you fillet a fish?
    Let's see....fillet knife @ 85 sec., electric knife @ 45 sec. A little over a minute for the fillet knife versus three quarters of a minute with the electric knife assuming per fish. To me it would all depend on the size of the fish and the amount of fish to be filleted. The bigger Specks have a little thicker bones that may take a little more time as I cut through the rib cage before cutting that bone section away from the fillet. It also would be dependent on how a person fillets their fish as I'm sure we all may have different ways of doing it. Not an easy question to answer unless the variables like those above are accounted for. If it took over a minute to do one fillet with the traditional knife and three quarters of a minute to do one fillet with the electric knife (assuming the removal of the skin and rib section also), it does seem slow to me. A whole fish at two fillets maybe but seems slow for only one fillet for either type knife at those times.

I use a traditional fillet knife but have been considering getting an electric fillet knife. I'm optimistic that I will reach my 25 Speck limit on some days. So far I haven't had a full Speck limit on the fly rod yet so I think I will stick with my traditional fillet knife for the time being. I do know that the more I am in the practice of filleting, the faster I can go.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 07-28-2008 at 02:40 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"