+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wading boot question

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Question Wading boot question

I have never owned a pair of wading boots so this question may sound a bit dumb.

Because of my bad knees I no longer wade out more than a foot deep or so from shore. So I don't plan to actually use them in the water just for bank fishing where there are lots of large rounded rocks. I slipped last year on some wet boulders while fishing.
    Will felt soles help me here or do I need cleats as well. If walking besides a stream do felt soles work better on rocky ground when they have been wetted or do they work better dry?
    Three reviews of wading boots I read in Cabellas website state that cleats can make walking on bare rocks more slippery. One fellow stated that you should take out several of the cleats and just go with a very few to help with traction on rocks.

Do I even need wading boots? Is there a Boot sole out there that would be better for walking on wet rocks than a cleated felt sole wading boot.

I did go out and buy a walking stick to help my balance and it sure has helped.

See I told you it was a dumb question.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Not a dumb question. If you have never worn felt soles before just be warned that they can be very slippery on wet grassy and or muddy banks! Most of my falls and those I have fished with have been from slips on the banks wearing felt soles. Also, be very careful when going from sandy shores to stepping on rocks. The sand sticks to the felts and acts like little ball bearing on the rocks.

Gnu Bee- My knees are shot too. I use a pair of boots with studded felt soles. Good for cutting through slimy rocks, and provides a pretty good grip on a variety of streams. For some rivers with roaring currents and lots of rocks and shale I use Korkers which slip over the wading shoe.

peregrines

Be careful because studs can slip on smooth rocks where felt won't......as much. Felt will slip on moss-covered boards too.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Felt also slips on wet grass (don't ask). How about some Korker boots with interchangeable soles, particularly the rubber ones?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Get a pair of studded aquastelth boots. They are good for land, wet grass, rocks, snow, moss, you name it.

I have a pair of Korker's interchangeable soled boots and wouldn't own anything else, for wading. But, the "straight rubber soles", that are supposed to "be as good as felt", have been "permanently lost", in my trash pile right after the 3rd time I tried them and the 3rd time I slipped and landed on my wallet pocket, wearing them.

GnuBee, your question is anything, but "dumb". If you haven't ever tried an item, how would you learn about it, if you don't ask those that have!?!

I prefer the felt/studs, combo, in most wading situations but there are also places I fish where the studs are more a hindrince than an advantage, due to the hardness of the rocks in particular areas. In Idaho, I run into a lot of granite in stream rocks and cleats/studs, on that stuf is a sure way to go swimming. So, there, I use straight felt soles. (The advantage of the Korker's multi-sole system).
    There are several boot companies that make felt soled boots and also have the option of adding studs/cleats, into the felt where you want them, (or, don't want them, depending). You might look into a pair of those, then simply place the screw-in studs in the arch area and outer heel, area, of the boot.
    That way, you have the felt's traction 95% of the time, and still the studs are there when mossy rocks, slimey wood, etc, is encountered and you need the extra grip of cleats.
    Jus an idea.
    Your smartest move, I feel, was when you bought your wading staff!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

+ Reply to Thread